SUMMARY OF ROLE: This position will be the key scientific & technical lead in researching, establishing, optimizing and approval of safe processing parameters for various types of food processing including but not limited to low acid retort processes, acidified food processes, acid stabilized cold filled process, and dehydrated food microbial safety in support of Mizkan America. Researches & maintains knowledge of the current state of the industry for thermal processing and microbiological safety. This position also serves as the Quality liaison with R&D, the production facilities and outside co-packer for thermal process-related government process filing and interaction activities. This job description reflects assignment of essential functions. It does not prescribe or restrict the tasks that may be assigned.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Act as internal Process Authority for thermally processed products (FDA LACF, acidified and other regulated processes) and develop guideline and rules for process development to ensure product microbial safety, and secure and control of validation study data.
Manage and perform thermal process filing with FDA.
Partners with R&D and Plant Quality to ensure required development and validation work is performed and documented in accordance with company policies and procedures.
Analyze data to reach valid scientific conclusions and create standards, protocols, reports, and develop process parameters to be included in specifications.
Identity and interact with outside thermal process consultant organization and community.
Perform process audit and troubleshooting efforts related to thermal processing including thermal processing equipment and control compliance.
Work closely with production facility personnel to implement improvements to enhance food safety.
Drive and deliver other quality related projects and/or tasks as identified.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- B.S. in Food Science/Technology with focus on Food Engineering, Microbiology, or closely related technical fields. M.S./Ph.D. are preferred. Formal course work in food microbiology, food processing, food engineering, and food chemistry are required.
- Prior Process Authority experience and knowledge of thermal process equipment are required.
- Minimum 7 years with M.S. or 10 years with B.S. of food industry experience.
- Strong interpersonal and communications skills (both written and verbal) to develop cross-functional relationships.
- Demonstrated ability to handle multiple projects and timelines simultaneously, and project execution leadership is strong desired.
- Detail oriented, accurate, aspired to continuous learning and improving are success attributes.
- Travel up 25%.