For more than 120 years, The J.M. Smucker Company has brought families together to share memorable meals and moments. Guided by a vision to engage, delight, and inspire consumers through trusted food and beverage brands that bring joy throughout their lives, Smucker has grown to be a well-respected North American marketer and manufacturer with a balanced portfolio of leading and emerging, on-trend brands. In consumer foods and beverages, its brands include Smucker#39;s, Folgers, Jif, Dunkin#39; Donuts, Crisco, Caf Bustelo, R.W. Knudsen Family, Sahale Snacks, Smucker#39;s Uncrustables, Robin Hood, and Bick#39;s. In pet food and pet snacks, its brands include Rachael Ray Nutrish, Meow Mix, Milk-Bone, Kibbles #39;n Bits, Natural Balance, and Nature#39;s Recipe. The Company remains rooted in the Basic Beliefs of Quality, People, Ethics, Growth, and Independence established by its founder and namesake more than a century ago. For more information about our Company, visit jmsmucker.com.
An Operations Technical Resource is responsible for the efficient and reliable maintenance of the site mechanical equipment in support of a 24/7 production schedule. Maintains both equipment and activity logs to comply with Smucker#39;s and OSHA requirements. The Technical Resource must be proficient at communicating and collaborating across departments/shifts. A Technical Resource Technician has the responsibility for operating process or packing equipment at a level requiring no mentoring support. In addition to operating the equipment the Technician must be able to maintain, troubleshoot, and repair the equipment at an advanced level mechanically requiring no mentoring support. Technical Resource Technicians will need to display mechanical aptitude to support E&I Technicians and Utilities Technicians. This technician must also meet leadership requirements that focuses on department level and plant level leadership and expectations.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities include the information below.
Business needs may dictate the assignment of other duties as needed.
- Mechanical Mastery - Perform mechanical maintenance and troubleshooting that meets industry standards and complies with all OSHA, FDA, FSMA, and JM Smucker standards. Focus areas should be directed towards preventative and predictive maintenance activities to ensure highly efficient performance. Provide mechanical guidance to Technicians during investigations.
- Mechanical Collaboration with Technicians - Work closely with Technicians to provide Fundamental Level coaching and support with technical expertise to continuously improve the performance of equipment in the department.
- High degree of integration with Department Operation - Provides the highest degree of interaction of providing techncial support to department specific equipment. This includes, but not limited to equipment ownership, Academy training material, Troubleshooting expertise, and support for all change management or project upgrades.
- Provide operational and technical support for CORE business needs -
(PROCESSING EQUIPMENT) Provides a level of operations and technical ability that requires no support for steam pressurized vessels, coffee brewing equipment, a multi-staged
steam induced evaporation process, a Centrifuge, pumps, valves, tank equipment and a large natural gas driven spray drying furnace and assiciated equipment. (PACKAGING EQUIPMENT) Provides a level of operations and technical ability that requires no support for a multi-stationed, polyfilm liquid coffee bag filling machine, weighing equipment, complex bag packing machine, inline printers, conveyors, scanners, flow wrapping equipment, tray packing machinery, strapper, low temperature blast freezing, palletizing, and stretchwrapping equipment.
- Can navigate and perform computer based operations functions on HMI screens
- Can navigate and populate MSOffice spreadsheets and PC based programs for production and quality requirements.
- Leads teams through Safety and Quality investigations using proper problem solving tools that are standard to Company expectations.
- Provides ownership and direction for plantwide Safety and Quality Systems
- Can read, understand and update standard operating procedures
- Can successfully perform proper turnover instructions to oncoming team members discussing any troubleshooting or operational challenges on the equipment.
- Provides proper training and mentoring for new team members on all department equipment
- Provides a technical level of understanding for Processing, Packaging and Utilities equipment. Technical skill requirements meet or exceed expectations of Progressive and Autonomous Maintenance activities associated with troubleshooting, maintaining and repair. Technician should be able to provide mentoring and coaching for employees with a high level of mechanical aptitude.
- Understands full range of tool use and can execute high level maintenance and repair.
- Understands and can articulate issues with equipment to lead the troubleshooting of equipment and determine root cause.
- Employee displays behavior that supports self-promotion, peer to peer responsibilities, team and department level leadership.
- May need to work other shifts, overtime, and modified shifts based upon business needs.
- Effectively operates and manages Processing OR Packaging equipment to ensure acceptable reliability and limited product loss
- Provides operations, troubleshooting and advanced mechanical maintenance support for all plant equipment. (including Processing OR Packaging Equipment)
- Provides a level of leadership that expands beyond the department to includes plant systems and programs
- Successfully provides self-promotion, peer to peer responsibilities, team and department or plant level leadership
Qualifications (Experience/Knowledge/Systems/Applications or Equipment):
Experience: 0-1 yr. 1-3 yrs. 3-5 yrs. 5-10 yrs. Over 10 yrs.
- Prerequisites: 1) Must successfully complete onboarding requirements associated with safety, quality and Company Basic Beliefs 2) Must successfully complete all general Department level sanitation qualifications. 3) Successfully complete a training matrix of operational and technical knowledge of all Equipment and procedures associated with Processing Equipment such as Mixer equipment, Evaporator equipment, Extraction equipment, and Spray Dryer equipment OR Packaging Equipment such as Filling machinery, weighing, bag packaging, tray packing, blast freezing, and Palletizing equipment 4) Successfully complete an Operational, Technical, and Leadership Board Review and Assessment for all Processing Equipment OR all Packaging Equipment. 5) Successfully complete a higher level qualification for technical aptitude for the skillsets in Manufacturing OR Packaging/Logistics 6) Successfully complete a Mechanical Apprenticeship program or equivalent.