The Organic Materials Review Institute (OMRI) is a leading nonprofit organization working to strengthen the organic industry. OMRI operates an internationally recognized evaluation program that reviews and lists input products for use in producing, processing, and handling organic foods and fiber. OMRI Listed® products may be allowed for use in operations that are certified organic under the USDA National Organic Program, Canadian Organic Standards, and Mexico Organic Standards.
Location: Eugene, Oregon (Learn more about the City of Eugene).
Due to COVID-19, this position would be remote for the foreseeable future, and you would be working from home temporarily until we can return to the office. Full-time telecommuting an option for the right candidate.
Overview of Position
We are looking to fill a key position on our team. Technical Coordinators are responsible for providing assistance and support to OMRI#39;s Technical Department, including research and educational programs. The Technical Coordinator reports to the Technical Director.
Starting salary $49,500 per year, DOE
- Conduct research to support technical reports, educational materials and other technical policy documents/projects
- Provide technical support to certifying bodies subscribing to OMRI
- Prepare ballots and other supporting information for Advisory Council and Technical Committee meetings
- Assist with developing proposals and implementing approved revision to the OMRI Standards Manuals, Generic Materials List and Permitted Substances Categories
- Be a technical resource to address and resolve difficult or complex issues for the OMRI Review Program (ORP)
- Answer technical and policy questions from OMRI staff.
- Assist in training ORP staff
- Prepare for and attend Review Panel (RP) meetings, when deemed necessary by Technical Director
- Develop content for OMRI educational resources regarding generic materials and technical material review, including presentations, review guides and other educational materials
- Conduct educational trainings and presentations, as requested
- Assist in writing grant proposals, as requested
- Provide support and information to the public
- Write newsletter articles, website copy and other public information, as requested
- Represent OMRI at appropriate trade shows, conferences, and meetings, as requested
- Understand and adhere to all policies and procedures under OMRI#39;s Quality System
- Other duties as assigned
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree required. Chemistry, biology, physics, geology or a related field preferred. Master’s degree is preferred.
- Documented training in organic regulations, such as IOIA certification, NOP training, etc. preferred
- 2 years of experience in research, technical writing, or organic regulations required
- Demonstrated technical writing and reading abilities
- Strong understanding and familiarity with organic food systems, food and agriculture regulations, and chemistry
- Strong customer service skills
- Superior written and oral communications skills
- Willingness to participate in professional development activities, and ability to acquire new skills and adapt to change quickly
- Ability to work constructively as part of a dynamic team
- Proficiency in standard office software
- High level of attention to detail and ability to process complex information and instructions
- Ability to manage and prioritize multiple tasks, organize information, complete tasks in a timely fashion, and appropriate handle confidential business information
- Public speaking skills and experience
- Familiarity with standardized procedures such as ISO 17065
- Project coordination and planning skills
- Ability to read, write and speak fluent Spanish
- Ability to work occasional nights and weekends, if required
- Ability to occasionally travel domestically, if required
- Ability to provide annual motor vehicle report and proof of auto insurance, if required
- Full time position with competitive salary
- 100% employer-paid medical, dental and vision plan
- 25-50% employer contribution to dependent medical, vision and dental plans
- 100% employer-paid life insurance, long term disability and short term disability insurance
- Retirement plan
- Generous Paid Time Off
- Opportunities for flexible scheduling
- Opportunities for training and professional development
- Bike-friendly business and support for alternative transportation options
- Small nonprofit organization with established team and leading role in organic industry
- Casual, fun work environment
How to apply
Submit your resume and cover letter as a PDF or Word document referencing Technical Coordinator in the subject line. Only candidates who have been selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls, please.
OMRI is an Equal Opportunity Employer
OMRI is committed to fostering an inclusive and welcoming work environment where equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants and teammates without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, pregnancy, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. All aspects of employment are decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, performance and business needs.