Mastronardi Produce pioneered the commercial greenhouse industry in North America, and we’re now the leading greenhouse vegetable company on the continent. Our award-winning, flavorful produce is packed under the SUNSET® brand and is available at leading grocery retailers across North America. Family owned for over 65 years, we pride ourselves on having the most flavorful products and the best people in the industry. We are constantly pushing boundaries to be a leader in fresh produce innovation. We seek individuals that demonstrate our PRIDE values (Passion, Respect, Innovation, Drive, Excellence) to help us fulfill our mission to inspire healthy living through WOW flavor experiences.
Green Empire Farms, a high-tech fresh produce greenhouse in Oneida, New York, and a member of the Mastronardi Group of Companies is seeking a Supervisor, Health & Safety to join our team. In this role you will be responsible for the company safety culture, policies and ensure compliance with all applicable local, state and federal rules and regulations. This position partners closely with management to implement and/or update safety related programs and procedures. This position promotes safety through education, training and fostering a safety culture.
- Maintain a presence in the greenhouse and conduct daily walk throughs inspecting the entire property, inside and out auditing for hazards and compliance. Address any concerns identified immediately and maintain issue list weekly.
- Coordinate with the security staff to ensure that only authorized people are on Company property.
- Complete required and optional safety training classes for professional development and the betterment of the Company (i.e, OSHA, MIOSHA, CPR, AED, etc.).
- Develop a Site Safety Management Plan (SMP) for the project to ensure a safe work environment for all company employees, contractors, visitors and community.
- Ensure all incidents are thoroughly investigated, corrective actions implemented, and safety and occupational health related training is occurring and properly documented as outlined by the company.
- Make recommendations on how to improve safety program. Follow through on recommendations.
- Plan emergency response drills maintain updated evacuation plans and conduct safety training as required by regulatory compliance and company guidelines.
- Assess educational and training needs, evaluate safety programs and processes and update training as required. Ensuring all staff is appropriately trained, including staffing agency employees.
- Work with the Maintenance Supervisor on lock-out, tag-out procedures, etc.
- Ensure property safety equipment is available and utilized including vendor-maintained supplies and equipment (i.e., safety glasses, ear plugs, gloves, medical supplies, fire extinguishers, etc).
- Develops, analyzes and updates dashboard/reporting making proactive and follow-up suggestions on prevention programs and procedures, including corrective action measures.
- Lead by example in all aspects of business ethics, personal and professional integrity, and individual accountability.
- Lead safety meetings for cross functional teams.
- Promote a positive atmosphere and utilize outstanding communication skills, through confidence building, constructive criticism, and individual development.
- Must maintain confidentiality of all proprietary information, as well as other Company data, including personnel information.
- Maintain the OSHA 300 & 301 logs and ensure injuries/illnesses are accurately logged in a timely manner.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Required:
- Bachelor’s or Associates Degree in Safety/Environmental or related field preferred. Will consider equivalent work experience in lieu of degree.
- 3-5 years’ experience in Health & Safety. Experience in agriculture or environmental field is preferred.
- Strong organizational, analytical and problem-solving skills. Need to be creative, adaptable and able to accurately handle out-of-the-ordinary issues with a sense of urgency.
- Bilingual in Spanish is preferred.
- Proficiency in use of English language with the ability to communicate effectively and professionally, present information and direction, and field questions from managers, employees and external contacts.
- Willingness to work with a high degree of professionalism and personal integrity.
- Working knowledge of local, state/provincial and federal laws and requirements to maintain compliance to all relevant statues and guiding principles (FDA, CFIA, USDA, CCOHS, MIOSHA, OSHA).
- Highly proficient in computer-use skills (MS Office: Word, Excel and PowerPoint).
- Willingness to work independently, with minimal supervision and take ownership of job.
- Greenhouse Environment, where the temperature averages 70 degrees and background noise approaches 70 dcbs
- Position requires sitting, standing, walking and bending, squatting, and crawling on a regular basis.
- Complete a background and drug test screening
- Must be able to lift up to 30 lbs. with or without accommodation
We are pleased to offer the following Benefits:
- Paid weekly
- Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance
- Paid time off and holiday pay
- Employee Engagement & Recognition Programs
- Opportunities for growth and advancement
Mastronardi Produce has accommodation processes and policies in place and provides accommodation for employees with disabilities. If you require a specific accommodation because of a disability or documented medical need, please contact the Human Resource office so that arrangements can be made for the appropriate accommodation to be put in place.