Sr. Food Safety & Quality Manager
As the Food Safety and Quality Manager you will be a key member of the Quality and Regulatory team responsible for providing strategic direction and implementation of all necessary food safety and quality programs and ensuring the safety, quality, and regulatory compliance of company branded products. This individual must demonstrate strong leadership skills with the ability to act collaboratively, proactively, and consistently engaged to find solutions that bring forth new ideas to achieve company objectives.
The Food Safety and Quality Manager owns two key functions: 1) Contract and External Partner Manufacturing and 2) Quality Systems. One of the two may be the primary focus, depending on background and team needs. Willingness and ability to shift responsibilities and focus to address business needs is a mandatory part of this role.
Contract and External Partner Manufacturing
- Provide strategic direction and guidance for the development, implementation, and compliance of all necessary quality programs at manufacturing facilities (contract, internal, and licensing as applicable), warehouses and raw material suppliers
- Work closely with the company R&D teams to ensure food safety requirements and quality standards are incorporated in the development process; provide support during plant trials and production runs for product launches
- Responsible for ensuring company manufacturing partners are onboarded and qualified prior to commercial production – this includes driving and coordinating all related activities
- Audit and review manufacturing partners’ facilities and quality systems to ensure compliance with company Food Safety and QA expectations
- Ensure new ingredients and new suppliers are qualified prior to their use in company products
- Manage relationships with external manufacturing quality departments, monitor performance against company procedures, specifications and KPIs. Work in partnership with external partner quality contacts to resolve quality issues and complaints in a timely manner
- Lead the design, creation, implementation and maintenance of company Corporate and Manufacturing (Internal and External) Quality Management Systems by working cross-functionally with internal and external partners
- Manage, administer and drive continuous implementation for all applicable electronic databases and software related to Food Safety Quality Assurance and provide training to relevant stake-holders
- Provide onboarding and continued education for employees – ensuring their knowledge and implementation of food safety guidelines is current and compliant with company and regulation guidelines
- Manage Internal Food Safety and Quality controlled document systems, nonconformance, CAPA, Change Control, Internal audit activities, and other Food Safety and Quality related programs
- Develop product evaluation programs including quality scoring, gold standard, shelf life, etc. and tools to monitor internal performance metrics and drive continuous improvement
- Manage internal raw material and supplier review programs which include risk assessment, food safety & quality programs review, and overall adherence to FSMA and regulatory requirements
- There will be 30-50% travel
- BS or MS in Food Science, Microbiology, or similar degree
- At least 10 years of progressive food industry experience in food safety and quality assurance
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in leading an FDA or USDA-regulated factory food safety and quality program
- Experience in developing, implementing, certifying and reliably maintaining GFSI food safety and quality management programs
- Proven track record of acting as a food and safety expert making business and quality risk-based decisions and recommendations based on scientific, regulatory and quality evidence
- Must be able to travel 30-50% of the time
**If you’d like to hear more about this opportunity and others we are currently working on, please contact Sam Kovacevic at email@example.com.