Shift Supervisor (2nd Shift)
The Shift Supervisor reports to the Operations Manager and manages the cross-functional personnel supporting production and warehousing activities on second or third shift, including Processing, Packaging, Quality, Warehousing, Sanitation, Maintenance and Changeover departments. He/she is the interface with all departments and coordinates daily production activities to ensure the safe and efficient operation of the business.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned. Nothing in this job description restricts management#39;s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
- He/she directs the activities of the personnel on the shift in an efficient manner to achieve the established quality and quantity of work. Responsible to ensure that all shift employees comply with all safety, quality, quantity, and housekeeping standards.
- Directs the adjustment of equipment and/or manpower as needed to meet established production goals. Maintains thorough knowledge of all processes and equipment.
- Addresses and reports any process or equipment problems. Contacts necessary personnel on evenings and weekend for assistance in troubleshooting production related issues. Manages downtime in a safe and efficient manner.
- Supervises all personnel activities within the operation. Walks the floor throughout the shift to provide the necessary supervisory presence to employees.
- Evaluates the performance of personnel on shift; recommends advancement and initiates appropriate measures to correct poor performance.
- Ensures personal protection equipment usage and promotes/monitors safety throughout the facility.
- Ensures that established policies, rules, regulations and procedures are followed. Provides counsel to employees to improve or correct below standard performance/behavior. Takes measures in line with company policy when violations occur including issuing written warnings or disciplinary action as required.
- Passes pertinent information onto incoming Shift Supervisor or Production Manager to ensure smooth shift change.
- When necessary, makes arrangements to train workers on more effective production techniques to increase their technical knowledge and make them more effective to increase productivity.
- Manages resources effectively to prevent waste as this could lead to loss or shortage in the overall production.
- Reports on production results of shift.
- Manages data, including analyzing and providing data to improve operational performance to include OEE, process reliability and labor optimization.
- Ensures all GMP, PPE and LOTO requirements are followed.
- Assists in managing employee timekeeping, including posting and approving of working time.
- Performs other related duties as required and assigned.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Skill in planning, organizing, directing and coordinating a wide variety of production activities; analyzing data, making sound recommendations and adopting effective causes of action; working persuasively and tactfully with supervisors and line staff; and supervision of specialized technical staff.
- Must have the capacity to understand the complexity of the business and the ability to engage in compelling discussions with various personnel to ensure that the production impact of all decisions is well understood and assessed before execution.
- Change agent with floor presence, including the ability to create buy-in from stake holders. Highly collaborative person, comfortable with conflict and debate normally associated with change.
- Problem Solving: Continuous improvement mindset; knows how to work productively within a structured business system; confronts difficult problems; gets "below the surface"; resourceful and collaborative and decisive in seeking facts and input.
- Interpersonal and team skills with ability to professionally interact with all levels of personnel required. Possesses excellent relationship building skills with a strong orientation to serving as a team player.
- Strong analytical skills with a methodological approach to problem solving and implementation.
- Computer skills including proficiency in Outlook, Word, and Excel and similar applications.
- Must have strong understanding of production metrics, with the ability to provide reports and analysis of results, develop and implement action plans to further change and improve performance.
- Excellent follow-up and organizational skills with the ability to multi-task and manage many tasks at one time.
EDUCATION AND WORK EXPERIENCE
- Three to five-years of supervisory experience and broad knowledge of production operations.
- A bachelor#39;s degree in business management, engineering or related field preferred. High school diploma required.
- Extensive experience working with technical machinery.
- Solid floor presence with the ability to motivate and direct activities with purpose and sense of urgency.
- Prior experience in a manufacturing environment supervising at least 25 employees and demonstrated knowledge and understanding of safety principles within this environment.
- Prior food processing experience preferred.
- Any equivalent combination of education, experience and training that provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
- Registered EMT or First Aid and CPR Certified preferred.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/WORK ENVIRONMENT
- Ability to lift, push or pull up to 50 lbs. Manufacturing/Warehouse/Office Environment.