Traditional Medicinals is seeking a talented, motivated and experienced professional to technically lead projects and product development in multiple product formats including but not limited to Powders, Lozenges, Topicals, and/or other forms as the company enters a new phase of innovation and strategic growth. As project technical lead. The Senior Scientist supports identifying and qualifying co-packers, leads product development and piloting, creates specifications and technical labeling, and support production and product launches. Working with project leaders, this person plays a critical role in initiating, planning, designing, executing, monitoring, controlling, and closing projects. The Sr. Scientist inspires a sense of shared purpose within R&D and cross-functional project teams, works well under changes and complexity, and completes projects on time and within budget to drive business results.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Business Alignment
- Align with Traditional Medicinals’ vision, mission, purpose, and strategy.
- Work with passion, collaboration, and dedication to delivering business results.
- Prioritize projects and activities with supervisor as business needs evolve.
- Learn and share best practices to expand R&D competencies.
- Cultivate a culture of trust, transparency, and accountability to build an effective team.
- Inspire a sense of shared purpose within the cross-functional project team, work well under pressure, changes and complexity, and complete projects on time and within budgets to drive business results.
- Ideate ideas and concepts feeding innovation pipeline.
- Develop project scopes, deliverables, milestones, resources, and timelines with project leaders/managers.
- Create product briefs of articulating product claims, concepts, active ingredients, flavor direction, timeline, and technical considerations.
- Formulate concept/bench-top prototypes with herbalists and scientists as well as personnel from Marketing, Sourcing, Legal & Regulatory Affairs, Quality, and Finance.
- Participate in the process of identifying, qualifying and selecting contract manufacturers for specific project needs.
- Work with Procurement and co-packers to facilitate solicitation of new ingredients.
- Review co-packer’s ingredient specifications.
- Coordinate activities of conversion of TM concept prototypes to co-packer bench-top prototypes, sensory evaluations, pilot trails, and new product start-ups.
- Develop finished product specifications and ensure product compliance.
- Develop technical labeling of products for packaging.
- Update supervisor on project progress, findings, and challenges timely.
- Monitor on-going projects to assure project objectives are being met and that timelines are being adhered to.
- Lead R&D sensory program
- Coordinate sample request activities between R&D and Procurement/Sourcing.
- Develop policies and procedures as needed within area of responsibility.
- 10+ year experience in product development and commercialization.
- Experience in project management.
- Experience in working with co-packers.
- Experience in sensory evaluation.
- BS in chemistry, food science and processing, or related scientific discipline.
- MS/PhD, NPDP certification, PMP certification, and/or Herbal training a plus.
- Excellent knowledge in sensory evaluation design
- Good knowledge of good manufacturing practices (cGMP), regulations for dietary supplements (DSHEA) and/or Over the Counter (OTC) drugs.
- Knowledge of herbalism and the herbal industry.
Skills & Abilities:
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent organization, prioritization, and time management skills.
- Ability to facilitate and collaborate cross functional teams.
- Must be self-motivated, team-oriented and results-driven.
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office computer skills.
- Able to travel up to 10%.
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret business documents
- Ability to communicate via speech, writing and hearing with employees, regulatory agencies or members of the business community
- This is primarily a desk job with constant sitting and keyboarding. Must be able to sit and type in an ergonomically correct position
- Ability to work 5 days a week on site.
- Must be able to stand; walk; reach with hands and arms
- Occasionally lift and/or move up to 30 pounds
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to focus.
Employee works in a busy administrative office with moderate noise as well as visiting other offices, warehouses, production environments and external partner sites.
Traditional Medicinals, Inc. and its subsidiaries are proud equal opportunity employers. We wholeheartedly embrace authenticity, diversity, and people’s differences. We acknowledge, celebrate, and support individuality to the great advantage our consumers, our stakeholders, our products, and the planet. We are committed to building an inclusive workplace for all our people.
We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law.