Corbion develops sustainable solutions to improve the quality of life for people today and for future generations.
We are seeking an experienced and versatile Senior Scientist to join our dairy applications team. You will play a key role in the implementation of solutions and innovations for the North American dairy industry. As the key knowledge carrier of food science and dairy processing (in terms of formulations, preservation, oxidation and ingredient interaction), you will lead dairy applications and preservation innovation platforms to achieve global innovation strategy targets through execution of application projects and delivery of value proposition to the customers.
- Lead the management of the dairy applications laboratory which includes, completing day to day activities necessary to maintain the equipment, lab safety, training materials and placing orders to restock inventory.
- Coordinate the application work in multidisciplinary and cross-functional project teams, either as (technical) project lead or as application work stream lead. This includes ideation, reviewing and identifying new projects, developing and executing technical plans, collecting and analyzing data, communicating results and project status, generating reports, making presentations, and/or publishing papers and/or patents.
- Lead and assist with the design and execution of challenge studies and shelf-life studies in food products in BSL-2 microbiology laboratory.
- Coordinate taste panels for dairy products manufactured by external customers as well as internal lab samples in order to evaluate the impact of ingredients on sensory attributes.
- Contribute (with subject matter experts in technology and application teams and from external party/network) to the quality of the R&D input in food application and preservation related projects, and provide technical insights as well as insights in industry status (technology trends, NBA, science/knowledge).
- Collaborate with new and existing customers in (joint) product/application development projects and provides product application support including troubleshooting, problem solving, technical support/assistance (product/application information, food applications, predictive modeling).
- Provide technical training leadership to sales, distributors and internal customers.
- Work with food applications and preservation teams (including global research and development team), sales, and industry team to deliver the strategy targets for the North American food industry.
- Represents the Corbion expertise at customers and research associations.
- Other duties as determined by business needs.
- Masters of Science in Food Science, Food Technology or related major; or Bachelors of Science with 5 years of relevant industry experience.
- Minimum 5 years of R&D (technical, product applications development) experience in food science. A track record of successful food science relates research and publications are strongly preferred.
- Minimum 3 years of project management experience.
- Ability to set up and effectively manage an application laboratory.
- Open and easy communicator: Able to listen well and work together with sales, marketing, customers, application, product development and food microbiology teams.
- Self-starter/time-management: Able to initiate projects and bring new ideas into the organization. Capable of self-management, and multiple projects/tasks management.
- Team player: Builds on expertise of others and is able to connect the dots to drive for optimal results for Corbion.
- Problem solving skills, understanding of experimental design and statistical analysis.
- Customer focus, drive for results/can-do mentality: Work with high motivation and passion to deliver results.
- Strong interpersonal and organizational skills: Work successfully in cross-functional teams and matrix work environment.
- May need to travel overnight 20-30%.
Corbion is the global market leader in lactic acid and its derivatives, and a leading supplier of emulsifiers, functional enzyme blends, minerals, vitamins, and algae ingredients. We use our unique expertise in fermentation and other processes to deliver sustainable solutions for the preservation of food and food production, health, and our planet. For over 100 years, we have been uncompromising in our commitment to safety, quality, innovation and performance. Drawing on our deep application and product knowledge, we work side-by-side with customers to make our cutting-edge technologies work for them. Our solutions help differentiate products in markets such as food, home & personal care, animal nutrition, pharmaceuticals, medical devices, and bioplastics. In 2019, Corbion generated annual sales of 976.4 million and had a workforce of 2,138 FTEs. Corbion is listed on Euronext Amsterdam. For more information: www.corbion.com
Corbion is an equal opportunity employer and committed to a diverse workplace. All applicants will be considered equally without regard to race, color, ethnicity, veteran status, religion, national origin, marital status, political affiliation, age, sex, sexual orientation, handicapping condition, membership in an organization or any other non-merit factors.
Corbion provides reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please notify the Corbion Human Resources department. The decision on granting reasonable accommodation will be on a case-by-case basis.
Corbion does not accept unsolicited resumes from individual recruiters or third party recruiting agencies in response to job postings. No fee will be paid to third parties who submit unsolicited candidates directly to our hiring managers. All candidates must be submitted by approved Corbion vendors who have been expressly requested to make a submission by our Talent Acquisition team for a specific job opening. No placement fees will be paid to any firm unless such a request has been made by the Corbion Talent Acquisition team and such candidate was submitted to the Corbion Talent Acquisition Team.
Nearest Major Market: Overland Park
Nearest Secondary Market: Kansas City
Job Segment: Microbiology, Scientific, Medical, Scientist, Product Development, Engineering, Science, Healthcare, Research