The Senior Product Development Manager is a key leadership role within the research and development department responsible for driving new products/technologies and product enhancement/improvements. The position collaborates with 2 Product Managers (direct reports) and Scientific representatives regarding product development to maintain customer focus. Additionally, the role supports the engineering staff relative to the underlying scientific principles employed in products and provides guidance with respect to product development. The position reports to Director of Research and Development.
- Ensures input from a variety of sources (internal and, when possible, external) is requested, reviewed, and where agreed upon, incorporated in development goals. The Sr, Product Development Manager aligns the design strategy to comply with the identified voice of the customer / end-user requirements, safety, regulatory agency compliance and instrument performance.
- Responsible project management of critical development efforts including ensuring that necessary resources are requested and available, staff is aligned with the objectives, schedule and budget are managed and clearly communicated to stake holders.
- Guides Project Engineers in projects as they relate to scientific principles and goals.
- Works with Director of Engineering and development team to identify CE requirements and establish validation thereof.
- Ensures full disclosure of product changes to Sales & Marketing via written documentation
- Directs the various programs necessary to validate engineering solutions for a wide range of sample types and instrument variables.
- Directs the generation of performance specifications through testing programs in association with laboratory, quality/final test, and science staff.
- Drives method development for existing and new products to support new applications and specific material-related solutions.
- Drives Intellectual Property initiatives to promote and secure market leadership position.
- Supports service and sales departments with application and instrument knowledge as required.
- Follows company policies, procedures, and safety regulations.
- MS or PhD in a physical science (chemistry, chemical engineering, physics, materials science)
- A minimum of 10 years in analytical instrument product development or instrument qualification/method development/custom builds.
- 3-5 years of prior Project Management (classic and agile) experience with proven track record required
- Experience with measurement technologies employing temperature extremes, vacuum, and pressure a plus.
- Background in Firmware development a plus
- Six Sigma Green Belt or higher preferred