At Finless Foods, our mission is simple – we want to create a future for seafood where the ocean thrives. We work toward this every day by creating delicious, alternative seafood products that help you satisfy your cravings, without bait or a hook. We are using ground-breaking (or rather ocean-breaking) plant and cell culture technology to revolutionize the way the world sources delicious and sustainable food. Good for us. Good for the ocean.
These are our values:
- be driven to create a future for seafood where the ocean thrives
- produce safe, healthy, and great-tasting food
- urgently commit to a flourishing ocean and waterways
- respect coastal communities and their relationship with the ocean
- foster a diverse culture of people and knowledge
- believe people want to help and that we can offer them a helping hand.
At Finless Foods, we are passionate about supporting our employees’ growth, both personally and professionally. We want you to be proud of having ‘Finless Foods’ on your resume and we want you to be a key part of making Finless’ amazing culture what it is.
- Emotional intelligence - The ability to be both self and socially aware and to effectively manage yourself and your social relationships, including your Finless teammates
- Building trust through transparency - The ability to communicate by leading with transparency and honesty, even when it's difficult
- Proactively supporting your teammates - The ability to identify and proactively offer support to your teammates (because we succeed together)
- Looking for opportunities in failure - The ability to frame failures as learnings and growth opportunities, because this is the building block of success
At Finless, we integrate these values on a daily basis, and they also are a core part of our annual individual and team evaluations. We’re looking for individuals who will take these to heart as much as we do.
As the Senior Food Scientist, you will play an instrumental part in developing and launching Finless Foods’ products into the market. This role will work collaboratively and cross-functionally with our R&D team of cellular biologists, molecular biologists, and tissue engineers to create new product innovations that showcase our technology.
As the Senior Food Scientist you will be responsible for:
- Leads product development projects communicating with internal and external stakeholders. Utilizes knowledge of functional food ingredients, food science principles, and consumer marketing insights to develop new seafood alternative products and formulas
- Works collaboratively with Finless Cell Biology Team on cell cultured innovation projects
- Create product specifications, source/qualify new ingredients, spec processing machinery requirements, and the selection of packaging materials
- Coordinate concurrent projects from ideation through lab prototype samples, pilot plant production, and full commercialization
- Assumes the role of an innovator and project leader demonstrating initiative, creativity, and thoroughness in the execution of complex projects
- Oversees shelf life, sensory, product performance, and quality attribute testing of products as part of the development process
- Assists with regulatory compliance by helping to develop nutrition facts, allergen labeling, and ingredient declaration as needed
- Establish a food safety plan that ensures the highest level of consumer safety
- Document and optimize experimental procedures and work processes through product development software
- Manage key relationships with external partners and vendors for ingredient sourcing, evaluation, costing, qualification and specification.
- Recommend and select the purchase and/or lease of tools and equipment for use in the food science lab
- Conduct a wide range of analytical tests, sensory, consumer testing, shelf life, and product stability studies, and recommend storage and handling requirements
Experience, Skills, and Attributes
- B.S. in food science, food chemistry or a related field; Master’s or Ph.D. in food science or a related field is a plus
- 7 years of hands-on product development experience with specific working knowledge of functional ingredients such as proteins, stabilizers, gum/gel systems etc.
- Strong proficiency in innovative ingredient technologies and equipment
- Sound working knowledge of food science principles, GMP, HACCP, food safety, sanitary practices, and regulations and labelling
- Working knowledge of organoleptic and instrumental analysis
- Proven track record of innovative research and development projects
- Able to work independently, lead projects, and still communicate well with others
- Strong organizational and time management skills with keen attention to details
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced and fluid environment
- Work experience in startup environment is a plus
- A passion for food and an ability to create products that meet consumers needs
- Flexible, creative and clever in technical problem solving
- Emotional intelligence - Being self aware and able to manage yourself in a productive way as well as being socially aware and manage social interactions accordingly
- Competitive salary with the industry – Actual salaries will vary and may be above or below the range based on factors including but not limited to location, experience, and performance
- Unlimited PTO
- Flexible Schedule
- 401k (401k match after closing Series B)
- Medical, dental & vision (100% covered for the employee after closing Series B + 50% covered for dependents)
- Access to well-being tools and development opportunities
- Legal authorization to work in the U.S. is required.
- In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire.
- Be part of the change for a better world
- Some travel may be required, up to 10%
Work Environment/Physical Demands
This position involves working primarily in a laboratory setting. As such this position requires the ability to stand or sit at the bench, the ability to lift laboratory equipment or ingredients up to 40 lbs, the use of standard laboratory equipment as well as computers and office equipment. The position requires communication with other individuals through a variety of methods.
Finless Foods Inc is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, mental or physical disability, and genetic information, marital status, citizenship status, military status, protected veteran status, membership in any other legally protected category.
Reasonable Accommodation Notice Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
We sincerely appreciate the time and effort you spent in contacting us and we thank you for your interest in Finless.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Due to the large number of applications, only applicants moving on to the next round will be contacted.