The Senior Director of Quality and Food Safety is an ambitious and passionate leader that drives the direction and guidance on Quality and Food safety for all divisions of the company, e.g. Global Ingredients, Plant based Food and Beverage and Fruit based Food and Beverage. Our specifications, quality systems, supplier and co-man quality teams will report directly to the person managing this center of excellence for SunOpta. This team will ensure best in class deployment of Quality and Food Safety and work cross functionally to continuously improve quality processes by developing, implementing, and ensuring food safety. This team will also ensure consistency in application of policies and procedures company wide as well as strict compliance with all relevant global regulatory agencies.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities\:
- Provides guidance on global regulatory, quality, and food safety for all divisions
- Develop, define, and deploy key performance indicators for the business while collaborating with other disciplines to assist in KPI deployment driving continuous improvement
- Subject matter expert in all Food Safety and Quality Assurance related trends, regulations, and legislation, maintaining a high level of expertise on all food safety and quality related subjects
- Ensure compliance with all regulatory requirements, positioning the company as an industry leader in Quality and Food Safety
- Drive continuous improvement in the areas of Quality Assurance and Food Safety using SunOpta 360 to bring food safety knowledge and education to all disciplines
- Works cross-functionally with Operations management, R&D, Purchasing, Logistics, and other departments to provide guidance and execution on SunOptas quality management systems
- Develop benchmarking and metrics for Company Food Safety and Quality Assurance performance through interaction with industry peers
- Set challenging and appropriate performance expectations for contaminant management (chemical/microbiological/economically motivated adulterants), foreign material control, regulatory compliance, and HACCP programs
- Create and enforce robust testing programs on food products to ensure compliance with regulations, and the advancement of product safety for our consumers
- Interact regularly with key customers to ensure quality systems are in place to fully meet their needs
- Develop and maintain working relationships with appropriate regulatory agencies, working as a reputable senior liaison on Food Safety and Quality matters
- Coordinate audits, mock recalls, and key critical parameter proficiency testing for all manufacturing locations, co-manufacturers, 3 PL warehouses and distribution centers
- Responsible for maintaining and upgrading HACCP procedures, and observing and enforcing overall food safety and GMPs
- Manage the investigation and reporting of quality issues and implementation of CAPA protocol
- Works with management to ensure effective organizational design and roles are correctly organized, documented and communicated to all employees
- Ensures effective safety procedures, tools and record keeping are managed through site leadership
- Adheres to company GMPs (good manufacturing practices), safety procedures and all other quality processes
- Manage raw material, packaging and finished product specifications and the interface with Company ERP systems in collaboration with Finance, Commercialization and Procurement
- All other duties as assigned
Several Quality Directors and Managers report to this position.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Bachelor#39;s degree in microbiology, food science, Engineering or related field required. Masters degree in a technical field preferred, e.g. Chemical Engineering, Regulatory Management, Food Safety.
10- 15 years of food manufacturing industry experience (5 years at a director/executive level).
Knowledge and Skills\:
- Candidate must possess a strong working knowledge and have direct experience in adherence with USDA, FDA manufacturing.
- Knowledge of current Food Safety and QA audit trends and programs (e.g. SQF, etc.) is required. Effective people management skills are a must.
- Excellent PC skills including working knowledge of MS Word and PowerPoint along with proficiency with MS Excel is needed.
- Knowledge of Lean Manufacturing practices is beneficial. Outstanding verbal, written, multi-tasking and presentation skills are required.
- Proven ability to interact and communicate effectively with customers, consumers, all levels of the organization, and Regulatory officials is required.
- The incumbent must have an ability to create momentum and foster organizational change.
Travel of approximately 30% is required to various SunOpta locations, meetings, or other job-related functions.
Work Environment/Physical Demands\:
Approximately; 90%%0A of work is performed in an office environment. 10% of work may involve being in the agricultural or manufacturing environment.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time, with or without notice.
An Equal Opportunity Employer