Corbion develops sustainable solutions to improve the quality of life for people today and for future generations.
Corbion#39;s Algae Ingredients business is based in South San Francisco and leads the industry in developing new applications and markets for algae-based products. We have a range of sustainably produced algae products that deliver breakthrough innovations for human and animal nutrition. An opportunity is available in our Downstream Process Development group to support downstream process development and technology transfer efforts. The successful candidate will be an integral member of a multi-disciplinary team focused on the development of new products and processes utilizing Corbion#39;s unique fermentation based technology.
• Assist in the design, development, implementation and operation of bench and pilot scale experiments, with focus on downstream product recovery from fermentation broth
• Assist and setup SOPs for bench and pilot scale equipment/processes/assays
• Support conceptual process design of new processes with execution of experimental proof-of-principle development studies and vice-versa, use the data to evaluate optimal process setup by checking impact on capacity, yield, cost etc.
• Support optimization and troubleshooting of manufacturing processes (lab, pilot and industrial scale) including drying, particle size reduction, extraction, filtration, centrifugation, chemical modification etc.
• Lead development and perform assays for in-process and end-process material characterization
• Transfer developed technologies and know-how to other Corbion sites at equal or larger scale
• Evaluate, procure and operate lab and pilot plant equipment to evaluate new materials, develop new processes and generate samples for characterization and application development.
• Work within a team framework and support the organization, with both individual responsibility and support of other scientists
• Perform mass and energy balances for selected unit operations or processes
• Interpret and be critical to the own generated experimental data
• Present and document own experimental data in a clear and structured manner
• Plan and coordinate external development projects with contract labs and vendors
• Write test protocols, SOP#39;s, technology transfer documents and reports
• Up to 20% travel may be required
• Qualified applicants will possess a BSc, MSc or PhD in Chemical Engineering, Biochemical Engineering, Bioprocess Engineering or related field with 2+ years of industrial experience. Applicant#39;s education/experience will determine the considered level in the vacancy.
• Experience in development and scale-up of downstream processes with particular focus on drying, filtration, centrifugation and extraction
• Experience in conceptual process design and techno-economic assessments preferred
• Experience in operating and maintaining lab and pilot-scale process equipment
• Experience in analyzing biological materials using common analytical chemistry and wet chemistry methods, as well as developing and running physical chemistry/process characterization methods
• Experience with powder processing and powder characterization will be considered as an asset
• Excellent written and verbal communication; and the ability to work both independently in a multi-disciplinary environment and as a key teammate within an interdisciplinary team
• Pro-active mentality with the capacity to think with the end-in-mind
• Skillful in problem solving and trouble-shooting data, equipment, and procedures at various process scales
• Ability to work in a fast paced and priority changing environment without sacrificing accuracy, quality of work, and safety
• Good organizational and time management skills
• Proficiency with Microsoft Excel, Word and Power Point
• Knowledge of Statistical Design of Experiments and Statistics preferred
- Corbion is the global market leader in lactic acid, lactic acid derivatives, and a leading company in emulsifiers, functional enzyme blends, minerals, vitamins and algae ingredients. Our sustainable ingredient solutions help differentiate products in markets such as food, home & personal care, animal nutrition, pharmaceuticals, medical devices, and bioplastics. With a worldwide network of production facilities, sales offices and agents in more than 100 countries, Corbion is known for quality, product innovation, and customer orientation, as well as for its collegial, informal and results-oriented company culture.
- Corbion is an equal opportunity employer and committed to a diverse workplace. All applicants will be considered equally without regard to race, color, ethnicity, veteran status, religion, national origin, marital status, political affiliation, age, sex, sexual orientation, handicapping condition, membership in an organization or any other non-merit factors.
- Corbion provides reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please notify the Corbion Human Resources department. The decision on granting reasonable accommodation will be on a case-by-case basis.
- Corbion does not accept unsolicited resumes from individual recruiters or third party recruiting agencies in response to job postings. No fee will be paid to third parties who submit unsolicited candidates directly to our hiring managers. All candidates must be submitted by approved Corbion vendors who have been expressly requested to make a submission by our Talent Acquisition team for a specific job opening. No placement fees will be paid to any firm unless such a request has been made by the Corbion Talent Acquisition team and such candidate was submitted to the Corbion Talent Acquisition Team.
Nearest Major Market: San Francisco
Nearest Secondary Market: Oakland
Job Segment: Chemistry, Biochemistry, Scientific, Medical, Engineer, Science, Engineering, Healthcare