Aspire Bakeries is a North American baking company with a leadership position in specialty frozen baked goods. Formed from leading bakery companies, its innovative food portfolio includes breads, artisan breads, buns, cookies, donuts, muffins and pastries from beloved brands likeLa Brea Bakery,Otis Spunkmeyer, andOakrun Farm Bakery. With 15bakeries in North America, we are committed to driving innovation, predicting upcoming consumer trends and flavors, and exceeding our customers expectations. Aspire Bakeries champions the values of Integrity, Ownership, Customer Focus, Creativity and Care to help us deliver on People Safety, Food Safety, Quality and Collaboration.
Position Purpose ( 3rd shift coverage)
The Sanitation Supervisor directs, coordinates and controls the sanitation function within all the bakery operations.
Insures both physical and food safety by proactively supervising safety and sanitation activities and providing the necessary training and direction to the team, while maintaining the facility in a hygienically clean, sanitary and safe condition.
- Provides leadership and guidance in directing efforts to improve, maintain and validate safety and sanitation practices and procedures.
- Assists with prevention of chemical, physical, and biological hazards at the facility.
- Provides technical guidance to management and employees regarding the correct use of protective clothing or accessories.
- Facilitates training for employees on issues related to sanitation.
- Performs routine plant audits and sanitation inspection of equipment and recommend maintenance/repair needs for correction in order to comply with sanitation practices in accordance to La Brea Bakery, State and federal sanitation laws and plant standards.
- Continuously verifies/validates sanitation effectiveness and propose better ways to clean/sanitize, maximizing results and minimizing cost.
- Anticipates sanitation needs based on Production schedules and coordinates personnel needs and tasks based on available cleaning time.
- Updates sanitation procedures and practices (SSOP) per company policies and recommends adjustments to schedules, procedures, sanitation practices to QA Manager for review.
- Provides monthly training to sanitation employees on specific sanitation job tasks, tools and proper chemical usage.
- Compiles required reports regarding inspections, sanitation violations and corrective actions.
- Responsible for overseeing the maintenance and hygiene of all sanitation equipment.
- Responsible for performing weekly inventory on sanitation supplies and for securing and assigning supplies as required.
- Assists in the preparation of the facility in advance of company visits and audits.
- Responsible to follow up pest control observation and make an internal pest control walkthrough and keep records.
- Works to maintain and improve on the quality, legality and safety of each product and the processes used in their manufacture. Responsible for keeping assigned work area clean and tidy at all times and reporting any potential contamination and suspicious activity to a Supervisor immediately.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Supervisory Responsibilities: Supervises up to 35 sanitation employees. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
Skills, Experience & Qualifications
- Analytical - Collects and researches data; designs work flows and procedures.
- Design - Generates creative solutions; uses feedback to modify designs; demonstrates attention to detail.
- Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; gathers and analyzes information skillfully; develops alternative solutions; works well in group problem solving situations; uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics.
- Project Management - Develops project plans; coordinates projects; manages project team activities.
- Technical Skills - Pursues training and development opportunities; strives to continuously build knowledge and skills; shares expertise with others.
- Interpersonal - Focuses on solving conflict, not blaming others; maintains confidentiality; remains open to others' ideas and tries new ideas; listens to others without interrupting; keeps emotions under control.
- Team Work - Balances team and individual responsibilities; exhibits objectivity and openness to others' views; gives and welcomes feedback; contributes to building a positive team spirit; able to build morale and group commitments to goals and objectives; supports everyone's efforts to succeed; recognizes accomplishments of other team members.
- Change Management - Communicates changes effectively; builds commitment and overcomes resistance; prepares and supports those affected by change; monitors transition and evaluates results.
- Delegation - Delegates work assignments; gives authority to work independently; provides recognition for results.
- Leadership - Exhibits confidence in self and others; inspires and motivates others to perform well; effectively influences actions and opinions of others; inspires respect and trust; accepts feedback from others; provides vision and inspiration to peers and subordinates; gives appropriate recognition to others; displays passion and optimism; mobilizes others to fulfill the vision.
- Managing People - Includes staff in planning, decision-making, facilitating and process improvement; takes responsibility for subordinates' activities; makes self available to staff; provides regular performance feedback; improves processes, products and services; continually works to improve supervisory skills.
- Quality Management - Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness.
- Business Acumen - Understands business implications of decisions; displays orientation to profitability; demonstrates knowledge of market and competition; aligns work with strategic goals.
- Cost Consciousness - Works within approved budget; develops and implements cost saving measures; contributes to profits and revenue; conserves organizational resources.
- Diversity - Shows respect and sensitivity for cultural differences; educates others on the value of diversity; promotes a harassment-free environment.
- Ethics - Treats people with respect; keeps commitments; inspires the trust of others; works with integrity and ethically; upholds organizational values.
- Organizational Support - Follows policies and procedures; completes administrative tasks correctly and on time; supports organization's goals and values.
- Strategic Thinking - Develops strategies to achieve organizational goals; understands organization's strengths & weaknesses; adapts strategy to changing conditions.
- Adaptability - Adapts to changes in the work environment; manages competing demands; changes approach or method to best fit the situation; able to deal with frequent changes, delays, or unexpected events.
- Attendance/Punctuality - Is consistently at work and on time; ensures work responsibilities are covered when absent; arrives at meetings and appointments on time.
- Dependability - Follows instructions, responds to management direction; takes responsibility for own actions; keeps commitments; commits to long hours of work when necessary to reach goals; completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person with an alternate plan.
- Initiative - Volunteers readily; undertakes self-development activities; seeks increased responsibilities; takes independent actions and calculated risks; asks for and offers help when needed.
- Innovation - Displays original thinking and creativity; meets challenges with resourcefulness; generates suggestions for improving work; presents ideas and information in a manner that gets others' attention.
- Judgment - Displays willingness to make decisions; exhibits sound and accurate judgment; supports and explains reasoning for decisions; includes appropriate people in decision-making process; makes timely decisions.
- Motivation - Sets and achieves challenging goals; demonstrates persistence and overcomes obstacles.
- Planning/Organizing - Prioritizes and plans work activities; uses time efficiently; sets goals and objectives; organizes or schedules other people and their tasks; develops realistic action plans.
- Professionalism - Approaches others in a tactful manner; reacts well under pressure; treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position; accepts responsibility for own actions; follows through on commitments.
- Quality - Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; looks for ways to improve and promote quality; applies feedback to improve performance; monitors own work to ensure quality.
- Quantity - Meets productivity standards; completes work in timely manner; strives to increase productivity.
- Safety and Security - Observes safety and security procedures; determines appropriate action beyond guidelines; reports potentially unsafe conditions; uses equipment and materials properly.
Education, Technical Qualifications, Experience and Competencies Proficiency Level
- Knowledge of HACCP required.
- Math Ability - Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
- Reasoning Ability - Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions. Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
- Minimum 2 years relevant experience in an automated food processing plant.
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, operating and maintenance instructions, and governmental regulations. Ability to effectively present information to and respond to questions from employees, managers, clients.
- Oral Communication - Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; listens and gets clarification; responds well to questions; participates in meetings.
- Written Communication - Writes clearly and informatively; varies writing style to meet needs; presents numerical data effectively.
- To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of Microsoft Word processing software; Excel spreadsheet software and Outlook email software.
- AA degree preferred.
- Knowledge in BRC.
- Bakery experience preferred
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to be standing or walking approximately 40% of the time, including occasional walking on uneven ground. The employee is occasionally required to smell. Frequent flexing, extending and turning of the neck and head are required.
- This position requires employee to have adequate communicating and observational skills, including seeing, speaking and hearing, due to the operation of various types of moving equipment used in the bakery. These requirements are for the safety of the employee and co-workers. These requirements are also necessary for collecting and distributing information to staff, and communicating with co-workers. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, depth perception and color vision.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to work near moving mechanical parts. The employee is frequently exposed to wet or humid conditions (non-weather). The employee is occasionally exposed to extreme heat or cold (non-weather), and to rapid changes in temperature. The employee must be able to tolerate a work environment that contains flour dust. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate but can get loud.
We thank each applicant for taking the time and effort to submit your resume, however, only candidates to be interviewed will be contacted. Our organization is committed to promoting the independence, dignity, integration, and equality of opportunity of persons with disabilities by ensuring the accessibility of our facilities and services. Accommodations are available for all parts of the recruitment and selection process. Applicants need to make their required accommodations known in advance.