Role Purpose: Responsible for providing leadership and direction to the Sanitation team to achieve full plant compliance with personnel safety, food safety, sanitation/cleaning requirements pertaining to all regulatory, customer, and internal GMP’s and written procedures. Ensures team operational effectiveness and efficiency
* Responsible for the safety of all team members including handling of chemicals, lock out/tag out and safe work procedures.
* Responsible for plant cleanliness and food safety, quality and compliance with legal regulations, as defined in departmental procedures.
* Ensures that Company and Sanitation department daily objectives are achieved in a timely manner, and in compliance with all applicable Company and/or Regulatory requirements and standards through effective direction and coordination of the Sanitation department workload.
* Ensures that Sanitation department equipment and systems (central systems, , recycling area, soap room and janitorial, etc.) are current and in proper functioning order by ensuring all employees adhere to an effective preventative monitoring program, and through timely interaction with the engineering and maintenance departments, and/or external suppliers and industry groups.
* Helps ensure compliance with all applicable Company and/or Regulatory requirements and standards by contributing to the development, implementation, and maintenance of Sanitation department programs, polices, and procedures.
* People Supervision: organize and supervise the activities and work of a small team of subordinates to ensure that all assigned work activity is carried out in a safe, efficient and procedurally compliant manner; provide formal and informal feedback to subordinates to ensure their continuous development and overall contribution to the achievement of Maple Lodge Farms business strategy; and manage and direct all work activities within the context of the Collective Agreement including coaching, counselling and formal discipline.
* Policies, Processes & Procedures: follow all relevant departmental policies, processes, standard operating procedures, collective agreement and instructions so that work is carried out in a controlled and consistent manner; and assist in the development, implementation and maintenance of improved department specific processes, policies and procedures.
* Minimum 2 years’ relevant supervisory/managerial experience in the food industry, quality assurance, and/or sanitation;
* Working knowledge of food and meat plant regulatory standards (CFIA, etc.), GMP, HACCP, BRC, food safety, food quality, etc.;
* Working knowledge of Occupational Health and Safety Act (OHSA), WHMIS;
* Analytical, with problem-identification and problem-solving capabilities;
* Knowledge of process improvement tools;
* Ability to excel in a fast-paced environment where attention to detail and effective multi-tasking is essential;
* General computer skills (MS Office).
* Post-Secondary Degree or Diploma in related field, such as microbiology or food science (preferred)
* Building Trust - Builds strong relationships on a foundation of trust, loyalty and authenticity.
* Driving for Results - Relentlessly pursues quantifiable and measurable results: identifies areas for improvement and executes changes as necessary.
* Communication & Listening - Encourages open and honest communication with the team, communicates messages clearly and concisely and listens attentively to others.
* Initiative - Proactively seeks new opportunities and challenges; takes ownership and accountability for enhancing results or minimizing problems.
* Builds Networks - Builds strong relationships with peers, partners and key stakeholders, cultivating meaningful connections.
* Awareness & Insight - Assesses one’s own abilities, understands how actions impact perceptions and thrives within our culture, climate and organization at all levels.
* Manufacturing plant-based
* Warm/Humid conditions
* Hot water/wet
* Cold conditions
* General plant hazards, slips/trips & falls.
* Highly active (walking) position
In accordance with Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005, accommodation will be provided in all parts of the hiring process. Applicants are required to make their needs known in advance.
We thank all applicants for applying however only those chosen will be contacted.