Leads managers, supervisors, and workers in efforts to reduce safety-related incidents and to reduce associated human and fiscal costs. Maintains safety operational controls that hold managers and supervisors responsible and accountable for safety of our workers. Provides long and short-term strategies to ensure that each operating unit maintains processes to promote and protect the health and safety of Smithfield Grain employees and contractors.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
- Manage the location#39;s safety activities including regulatory compliance.
- Take a lead role in safety program development, performance reporting, and SIPS development coordination.
- Serve as the primary point of contact for the Corporate Safety Department on safety questions and issues that may arise.
- Prepare and submit reports required by regulatory agencies and corporate safety.
- Maintain summary data and information on measurable key safety performance indicators.
- Support the monitoring and measurement capability at the location by developing and delivering monitoring and measurement training to workers, reviewing the effectiveness of this training, and monitoring the results of monitoring and measuring.
- Participate in management of the Worker#39;s Compensation programs including working with Smithfield Corporate Loss Control, claims adjusters, loss control consultants and managers/supervisors to reduce incidents, reduce loss time, and eliminate fraudulent claims.
- Represents the location in community activities or industry safety groups and programs.
- Performs other duties as defined by senior management.
- Must be able to work with and around a wide range of bakery waste products some of which will contain allergens (i.e. peanuts, wheat, soy, eggs, shellfish, crustaceans, etc.).
- Degree in Occupational Safety or equivalent experience required.
- Prior experience in Occupational Safety and Health Management preferred.
- Must be able to walk and stand on concrete and unpaved areas for longer periods of time.
- Must be supportive of the mission of producing and/or storing grain and quality bakery meal
- Must be able to work in a stressful environment
- Must be able to work effectively with others in a team environment
- Must have the ability to read and fully comprehend documents such as government regulations, equipment operations manuals, and company operational controls in English.
- Must be able to work in dusty areas. Will work in a variety of indoor and outdoor environment under all weather conditions.
- Must be able to work an average of 50-hour weeks, including night, holiday and weekend when required. Longer hours may be required based upon business need.
- Must be able to travel to multiple facility locations for training, inspections, support, etc. Work is 60/40 field and office.