Retail Buyer and Merchandiser
Come join the Tillamook Team where our philosophy is Dairy Done Right. As an independent farmer-owned cooperative, we have been guided by good, honest values since 1909. We believe in putting quality over profit, natural over artificial, and that hard work can never be outsmarted. We re taking a stand for real food, because everyone deserves better.
We invite members of all diverse communities to join our workforce. At Tillamook, we believe that inclusion and diversity are central to our cultural strategy. In order to achieve our growth ambition and compete and win in the marketplace, we believe we make better decisions and build stronger teams when we invite and rely on diverse perspectives, thoughts, backgrounds and cultures into our work and to fuel our innovation and growth. To us this means creating a climate of inclusion where all employees feel valued and a sense of belonging. We believe this will make us a better consumer brand and employer.
What does real food mean to you? Is your favorite dish a cheesy casserole? Perhaps a decadent and indulgent ice cream? Either way, your identification with food is important to us. People who fit well here at Tillamook have a commitment to quality in everything they do. Our team members understand our vision, contribute to our mission, thrive on innovative thinking, hard work and good, honest values.
Our team members understand our vision, contribute to our mission, thrive on innovative thinking, hard work and good, honest values. We live by these shared values: We are Good Stewards, We believe in Uncompromising Quality, We work as One Team, We Play to Win, and We Genuinely Care for each other.
What you will do:
The Retail Buyer and Merchandiser creates the merchandise strategy and visual vision for Tillamook retail stores at the Tillamook Creamery, Tillamook Market at PDX, and other/future direct to consumer outlets. They are responsible for purchasing brand-elevating retail assortment and curating the visual merchandising of these products. The Buyer-Merchandiser builds brand awareness through the design, procurement, and the visual storytelling of our products. With uncompromising quality, they maintain our high standards for products and vendors.
Here s a day in the life:
- Collaborate with the Retail and Design management teams to develop brand-elevating merchandise strategies that are in sync with broader demand creation and brand design
- Identify trends and create branded and non-branded merchandise in a timely manner
- Manage buying process from development, procurement and receiving
- Develop a visual merchandising strategy for new and existing products
- Build compelling in-store product presentations to increase retail sales and tell the brand story
- Oversee Assistant Buyer to track inventories, purchase orders and visual strategy
- Working collaboratively with the Retail Management team to execute visual merchandising strategy
- Analyze sales numbers to control costs, stay on budget for COGS, manage inventory levels and meet budgetary gross margins
- Negotiate prices, discounts, payment terms, etc. Manage all buying within budgetary guidelines
- Accurately reconcile receivables to invoices
- Work with vendors to identify best shipping cost playing in vendor specials, time of year and preordering from vendors to get free/best shipping prices. Shipping best practices
- Attend gift shows and markets to research new product trends and purchase new merchandise lines
- Work with the Retail Management team to understand challenges, partner cross- functionally to create larger strategies and implement for success
- Partner with P&C Talent team to execute on recruitment strategies, including interviewing, placement and training of new hires as appropriate
- Inform budget related processes, ensure budget is tracked and objectives are met. Keep stakeholders informed
- Supports Workforce Planning process by partnering with Director of Guest Experience and talent team
- Establish and maintain effective relationships with employees, peers, and managers
- Communicate effectively
- Utilize a computer with intermediate knowledge of retail POS systems and Microsoft Office programs
- Act as a team player and be able to interact with staff at all levels of the company
- Work under pressure, meet deadlines, and be flexible in working on multiple projects simultaneously
- Demonstrate excellent time-management skills with the ability to work independently with little supervision
Knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- High school diploma, GED, or equivalent experience; coursework and/or experience in Retail Buying and Merchandising
- At least 6 years of buying and visual merchandising experience in a retail environment
- Demonstrated ability to effectively prioritize and time manage
- Possess the ability to read, write, and interpret instructional documents such as reports and procedure manuals. Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated intermediate computer literacy with knowledge of knowledge of Microsoft Word, Outlook, and Excel, SharePoint, and POS systems
- Valid Oregon Driver s License
Industry leading benefit and reward programs:
We offer outstanding benefits to our employees. For more information, please visit the careers page: www.tillamook.com/careers.
We are committed to creating a diverse culture and inclusive conditions where all employees are heard, valued and feel a sense of belonging. We rely on different perspectives, thoughts, backgrounds and cultures to inform our work, to help us be better as a brand and as an employer and to fuel our success. Weare seeking talent from a wide range of diversity, perspectives and backgrounds to joinour exceptional organization and help us build our future.
Tillamook County Creamery Association (TCCA) is a Drug-Free Workplace.EEO/AA