New product development of broths, stocks, flavors, animal fats and functional collagen products; lead and conduct pilot plant and production plant trials; support operations with technical expertise to improve quality / reduce cost of existing products; collaborate and provide technical support to internal cross functional groups and external customers; propose and identify new technological opportunities.
Education and Experience:
Bachelor of Science degree plus a minimum of 4 years of experience
Master of Science plus 2 years of experience
PhD plus 1 years of experience
Degree in Food Engineering, Food Science, Meat Science, Culinology, Food Chemistry, Biochemistry, Chemistry or Biology preferred.
Experience in the food industry is preferred.
Experience at Scientist Level I is preferred.
- Develop new broth, stocks, flavors, animal fats and functional protein products for the global food, nutrition and health industries.
- Collaborate with business partners to effectively drive product and process development projects through Stage – Gate process from bench study to commercial production.
- Identify production process improvement opportunities and provide technical support to improve production efficiency, enhance product quality and reduce production cost.
- Provide technical support at the plant level to make sure new product launches are sustained.
- Prepare product samples for sales to use with customers, distributors, and at industry events.
- Support global sales efforts through a variety of technical service activities. For instance - serve as a technical expert to sales and customers in business development efforts.
- Provide technical support / leadership to cross functional project teams.
- Perform projects and tasks as assigned by Company or Innovation Leadership.
- Maintain up to date knowledge of market trends and new ingredient / process / equipment technologies.
- Responsibility for maintenance and performance of laboratory equipment and environment.
- Troubleshoot situations as they arise in the lab and the manufacturing plant(s).
- Prepare presentations, well-written scientific and technical reports as requested.
- Solid science background and knowledge on the functionality and chemistry of proteins, protein products and production process, as well as the food product sensory evaluation and animal by product manufacturing.
- Excellent ability to implement product research and development principles and general methodology, such as Stage – Gate Process.
- Solid working knowledge of Good Laboratory Practices and GMP’s; ability to implement the same in both manufacturing, research and product development.
- Ability to safely and effectively operate pilot plant scale processing equipment such as cookers, evaporators, dryers, choppers, grinders, pumps, centrifuges, reactors, filtration, etc.
- Demonstrated working knowledge of experimental design, methods of data analysis and basic statics.
- Demonstrated ability to understand and communicate technical and commercial product information to Sales, customers, distributors and other external partners.
- Ability to effectively communicate with management, Innovation staff, Operations, QA and other internal partners.
- Ability to manage and maintain confidential information including Innovation projects, financial results and confidential / proprietary formulations and processes.
- Knowledge of organizational methods and the ability to manage multiple tasks/projects simultaneously.
- Ability to work daily and extended hours as necessary.
- Ability to demonstrate professionalism, respect, and reliability.
- Demonstrated willingness to learn and embrace emerging technology.
BASIC PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
Approximate: 8-Hour Day (may be longer during peak season)
Occasional = 0% - 33%
Frequent = 34% - 66%
Continuous = 67% - 100%
N/A = Not Applicable
Standing - Frequent
Sitting - Occasional
Walking - Occasional
Bending/Kneeling/Crouching/Stooping - Occasional
Reaching Above Shoulder - Occasional
Climbing (stairs, ladders, etc.) - Occasional
Working on Heights:
Unprotected Heights - NA
Protected Heights - NA
Lifting Weights from 0 to 50 pounds - Occasional
Weighing from 0 to 50 pounds - Occasional
Being Around and/or Operating Moving Machinery/Equipment - Frequent
Operating a Vehicle (as a part of your job) - Occasional
Read/Monitor Gauges on Various Equipment/Machinery - Frequent
Recording Data - Occasional
Operating Office Equipment - Occasional
Operating Computer - Frequent
Simple Grasping (right and left) - Occasional
Firm Grasping (right and left) - Occasional
Fine Manipulating (right and left) - Occasional
Foot Movements to Operate Foot Controls - NA
Good Vision, Corrected to Normal; or Ability to Access
Required Information and to Perform Job Duties - Yes
Color Definition - Yes
Good Hearing, Corrected to Normal; or Ability to Communicate
and/or Understand Required Information and to Perform Job Duties - Yes
Ability to be Mobile throughout Required Work Areas - Yes
Office - Frequent
Multiple Locations - Frequent
Plant - Occasional
Equipment/Maintenance or Repair Area - Occasional
Rough Terrain - NA
Other - NA
BASIC MENTAL REQUIREMENTS:
This position requires the mental and interpersonal capabilities to apply and communicate advanced technical expertise in a professional laboratory, technical and sales environment.
WORKING CONDITIONS AND EXPOSURES:
This position spends time in general office, pilot plant, manufacturing plants and laboratory settings requiring extended hours during peak periods of activity. The position requires the ability to travel in a variety of weather conditions.