Smithfield Foods is a $15 billion global food company and the world's largest pork processor and hog producer. In the United States, the company is also the leader in numerous packaged meats categories. Popular brands include Smithfield®, Eckrich®, Nathan’s Famous®, Farmland®, Armour®, Farmer John®, Kretschmar®, John Morrell®, Cook’s®, Gwaltney®, Carando®, Margherita®, Curly’s®, Healthy Ones®, Morliny®, Krakus®, and Berlinki®. Smithfield Foods is committed to providing good food in a responsible way and maintains robust animal care, community involvement, employee safety, environmental and food safety and quality programs. For more information, visit www.smithfieldfoods.com, and connect with us on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Instagram.
The position is one of participating in developing new products, implementing new technologies and improving current products.
- Develop methods for producing API and/or medical device component.
- Conduct testing of new APIs and/or medical device components, develop new analytical tests as needed.
- Participate in scale-up production and/or purification process design.
- Follow and enhance safety guidelines and safeguards the Company’s proprietary information.
- Perform pilot scale tests to generate product prototypes.
- Document, organize project reviews, and provide verbal and written communication on progress of projects.
- Run production scale tests at manufacturing plants developing commercially viable new products or reformulated products to improve quality.
- Work with cross functional teams (QA, QC, Engineering, Production etc.) on projects providing product development support.
- Understand pharmaceutical and/or medical device regulations and integrate the regulatory knowledge into product development process.
- Revise and develop protocols and SOPs to facilitate new product development and improve product quality.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. May perform other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential functions.
- Master’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university with emphasis in Biochemical Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Biomedical Engineering, Biochemistry, Life Sciences and 4+ years of relevant industrial experience, required.
- Ph.D Degree from a regionally accredited college or university, preferred.
- Strong scientific knowledge of biopharmaceutical and/or medical device product development and functionality.
- Able to work with pilot plant equipment with minimum supervision.
- Excellent analytical skills and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to pay attention to details and maintain high standard of accuracy.
- Ability to trouble-shoot and devise solutions.
- Hands-on work experience in biomolecules and/or biomaterials.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to work well with others in fast paced, dynamic environment
- Ability to be respectful, approachable and team oriented while building strong working relationships and a positive work environment.