Research & Development Associate
Employment Type: Regular
Have you ever enjoyed Arnold, Brownberry or Oroweat bread? A Thomas#39; English muffin or bagel? Or perhaps snacked on a Sara Lee, Entenmann#39;s or Marinela cake or donut? If the answer is yes, then you know Bimbo Bakeries USA!
Bimbo Bakeries USA is part of Grupo Bimbo, the world#39;s largest baking company with operations in 33 countries. Bimbo Bakeries USA (BBU) employs 20,000 associates across the U.S. in bakeries, sales centers, corporate offices and on sales routes to ensure our consumers have the freshest products to feed their families at every meal. But our associates come to work for much more - the chance to feed their own lives through exciting work that offers the opportunity to make a real difference in their professional and personal lives every day.
The Research and Development Associate conducts Research and product development activities throughout BBU for all BBU manufactured products and all co-manufactured, co-developed products. Brings key skills and knowledge in new product ideas/concepts and troubleshooting. Able to initiate product and /or processing concepts from idea to final production start-up. Spearhead new technology development and its application into all baked good areas. Develop and implement productivity projects.
Responsibilities will include but are not limited to the following:
- Design and execute experimentation using established procedures, interpreting and translating results into excellent product designs of technological solutions.
- Prepare samples to be evaluated by the different stakeholders (R&D Direction, Marketing, Sales, and others) as required.
- Coordinate the technical development or reformulation of bakery items, evaluation of new ingredients or troubleshooting of existing formulas.
- Contribute to key product improvements, cost reductions, new products development, knowledge building or other technically based, business driven objectives.
- Utilize the different information systems available to upload the new formulas, ingredient information or specifications and keeps Corporate formulas updated as required.
- Describe/demonstrate research results or experimental protocols to colleagues in a professional manner.
- Carry out those programs so laid out by designated supervisors under authority of the Director of Product Development, within the parameters of time and cost, etc.
- To work both in a "hands-on" environment and /or direct as needed, converting the ideas and concepts defined in project briefs, into a product reality.
- Utilizing services available - Analytical laboratory, costing, packaging, Technical Services, Marketing, Engineering, etc. - ensure that the developments are followed through the proper channels, obtaining the information required for their final approval and launch.
- Advise and guide other R&D team members and other departments throughout BBU, as requested, on scientific and technical matters.
- Prepare specifications and process operating guides for the different product developments, ensuring the proper documentation flow and approvals.
- To write reports/memos from time to time on current status of developments.
- Interface with Operations and Technical Service personnel in all facilities to effectively and efficiently implement product development objectives to completion.
- Deal effectively and professionally with outside ingredient suppliers to meet R&D objectives (keeping Purchasing informed).
- To maintain a daily log outlining project status and activities in such detail that others may continue the test.
- To lead in special technical projects concerning products, processes, new ingredients, equipment, and facility concepts and design.
- Where approved, travel to any BBU technical facilities or plants and co-packers to independently and effectively accomplish R&D objectives and interface professionally with representatives of the same.
- Strong commitment to and support of BBU#39;s values, ethics, goals, and objectives.
- B.S. degree in Food Sciences, Cereal Science, or in Chemical, or Food/Agricultural/Biological Sciences.
- Minimum of 2 years of experience in Research and Development of foods, preferably in the bakery industry. Formulating and/or troubleshooting experience is desired.
- Knowledge of the baking process and the function of ingredients.
- Proven excellent work record with demonstrated high levels of initiative and self-direction.
- Demonstrated strong problem-solving and critical-thinking skills.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent project management skills with ability to prioritize multiple activities simultaneously.
- Computer skills and proficiency with word processing, spreadsheet, database and other software/applications.
- Willing to travel as required.
Desirable qualifications for position:
- Prefer 2 plus years of Bakery/R&D/Quality technical knowledge in Manufacturing/Operations.
- M.S. in Food Science or related field or significant experience and training beyond B.S. degree in the science of baking and a strong mechanical aptitude. Equivalent work experience in the bakery industry and specific experience within an R&D/Quality environment, developing or troubleshooting products may be considered.
- Completion of the AIB Residence course preferred.
- Knowledge of Statistical Process Control, statistical design of experiments, and data collection and analysis.
The physical and mental demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an associate to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be requested to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Be a part of a company that is dedicated to protecting our planet:
- All of our U.S. operations have been powered with 100% renewable electrical energy since July 2019, with energy created through a Wind Farm backed by a Virtual Power Purchase Agreement with Invenergy
- Bimbo Bakeries USA was named EPA ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year in 2018 and 2019 for superior leadership, innovation and commitment to environmental protection through energy efficiency
- We have 14 ENERGY STAR Certified facilities
- Our Manufacturing operations divert greater than 95% of waste from landfill
- 360 of our company-owned vehicles utilize alternative fuel - propane, compressed natural gas, and electric
- Bimbo Bakeries USA has committed to 100% sustainable packaging across its portfolio by 2025. All product bags, pouches and wrappers are currently recyclable through Terracycle.
Bimbo Bakeries USA is an equal opportunity employer with a policy that provides equal employment opportunity for applicants and employees regardless of race, color, religion, disability, gender, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, or any other classification protected by law. This policy applies to all aspects of employment, including recruitment, hiring, promotion, compensation, reassignment, layoff, discharge, education, training and all other working conditions. To further the principle of equal employment opportunity, Bimbo Bakeries USA has developed affirmative action plans for minorities and women, qualified individuals with disabilities, and Vietnam-era and special disabled veterans and other protected veterans.