Smithfield Foods is a $15 billion global food company and the world's largest pork processor and hog producer. In the United States, the company is also the leader in numerous packaged meats categories. Popular brands include Smithfield®, Eckrich®, Nathan’s Famous®, Farmland®, Armour®, Farmer John®, Kretschmar®, John Morrell®, Cook’s®, Gwaltney®, Carando®, Margherita®, Curly’s®, Healthy Ones®, Morliny®, Krakus®, and Berlinki®. Smithfield Foods is committed to providing good food in a responsible way and maintains robust animal care, community involvement, employee safety, environmental and food safety and quality programs. For more information, visit www.smithfieldfoods.com, and connect with us on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Instagram.
The Relief Route Sales Representative is responsible for selling and merchandising a line of quality products at local stores. As a Route Sales Representative, you would drive a Smithfield Foods box truck. Expect to work Monday through Friday, 50 to 55 hours a week with the possibility of working an occasional Saturday or Holiday as needed.
People often ask what kind of characteristics will make them successful in this position. Here is an idea of what our Managers are looking for:
- Flexibility: You can adapt to changing situations, new tasks and priorities as changes occur
- Customer Focus: You help our customers find what they need and deliver service that exceed their expectations
- Attention to Detail: You are meticulous when it comes to checking dates on merchandise and arranging products; you are also responsible for accurately completing daily paperwork (e.g. DOT logs)
- Communication: You will be working closely with other Smithfield Foods team members and it’s important to communicate regularly
- Tech Savvy: You are comfortable using multiple technology devices each day to accomplish your goals
Does this sound like you?
The way it works is simple: we provide the information and tools to empower you to take charge of your career. At Smithfield Foods, it’s pay for performance all the way, and we will give you the training to flourish as the newest member of our exceptional team.
- Quotes prices and credit terms and prepares sales invoices for orders obtained
- Delivers products to customer, stocks retail cases and rotates inventory as required.
- Prepares end of day reports of business transactions and informs local management on any unresolved issues or opportunities.
- Maintains daily Department of Transportation and provides to local management as required.
- Maintains daily truck inventory and does weekly physical inventory and reports any variations to local management.
- Driving to assigned locations
- Using equipment (e.g. carts, pallets, etc.) to unload products and move throughout the store
- Rotating products and removing defective and out-of-date products and process returns and credits with receiver
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. May perform other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential functions.
- High School Diploma/GED, required.
- A valid Driver's License required, and a valid CDL-B Driver’s License will be required within 90 days of start date.
- Federal Regulations require individuals in this position to be 21 years of age.
- Minimum of 6 months experience in route sales, grocery, warehousing, or delivery, preferred.
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, verbal or schedule form.
- Ability to write routine reports and correspondence.
- Ability to work well with others in fast paced, dynamic environment.