Are you an experienced Regulatory Manager / Strategic Food Scientist? If so Freshpet has a great career opportunity for you! Our goal is to make the lives of dogs and cats everywhere better by making fresh, real food for pets. We are seeking a Regulatory Manager / Strategic Food Scientist to join our growing pet food manufacturing team and ensure that cats and dogs are receiving delicious, real food. This is a great opportunity to combine your strategic planning experience, and love for animals! At Freshpet, we’re passionate about what we do because we’re pet lovers, and because we believe that as a team, we are making a real difference in pets’ lives. We offer full benefits and an excellent work environment with state-of–the-art equipment and an innovative team atmosphere!
Regulatory Manager / Strategic Food Scientist
The functions performed by this position include representing Freshpet’s interests to all regulatory bodies including AAFCO, FDA, USDA, and appropriate Canadian, UK and EU bodies. Key responsibilities include maintaining compliance with applicable regulations while advancing our position as a disrupter in the pet food industry and protecting and growing the fresh pet food category. Key to success will be developing and maintaining regulatory and consulting relationships that can support the overall growth and vision of Freshpet through the leverage of external resources.
Leverage food science background and an innovative attitude to participate in the creation of new processes and ingredient streams to advance the science and strategic quality of fresh pet food manufacturing. Collaborate with the R&D department to establish and maximize technical output of a new pilot plant. Lead and execute projects by designing & conducting experiments, recording of experimental data and communicating of results to his/her supervisor by means of project update, product cuttings and laboratory reports. This includes calculating formulas, producing sample batches in the lab/pilot plant, conducting plant trials, with requisite technical information on hand and communicating with sales, marketing, operations and quality assurance.
Vice President Strategic Quality & Process Development
Document Control Administrator and Shared responsibility - Lab Technicians, Interns
Expected to attend all AAFCO, PFI and other regulatory meetings. May at times be required to travel to various training programs, test runs, co-packers or suppliers.
- Min 5 years of experience with pet food regulatory responsibility is required. This experience includes a general understanding of the USDA, AAFCO, FDA and the PFI organizations.
- Forward looking individual capable of anticipating emerging issues that may impact Freshpet’s growth profile.
- Continue the advancement of Freshpet’s strong relationships with state and federal regulators.
- Strong technical knowledge in meat and poultry science, meat microbiology preferred.
- Prior R&D project management experience is preferred.
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Supervisory experience preferred.
- BS/MS Food Science, Animal Science or equivalent technical qualifications required
SKILLS AND PROFICIENCIES:
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills that include effective interaction whether dealing with regulators or providing internal guidance. This internal guidance would include offering alternative, compliant options that leverage Freshpet’s position in the marketplace.
- Strong desire to stay current with developing regulatory changes within FDA and AAFCO.
- Computer skills with proficiency to construct moderately complex graphs and charts, record formulas, design presentations and evaluate statistical analysis modules.
- Excellent project management and organizational skills, attention to detail, and capacity to multitask efficiently
- Independently carry out assignments and review data for accuracy and trends and communicate any concerns
- Ability to work in a team and adapt to dynamic work environment
- Ability to interact effectively with individuals at all levels of the organization
- Responds well to changing priorities and quick turnaround projects
- Ability to develop and communicate creative solutions to regulatory and/or process challenges
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES/KEY DELIVERABLES:
- Awareness of U.S. & Canadian Pet Food Laws
- Review and Approval, through guidance, for all new and revised product labels
- Handle compliance follow-up activities with State, Federal, Canadian, UK and EU authorities
- Coordinate USDA audits for UK, EU and Canadian exporting
- Routine approval of UK Health Certificates for exporting
- Attendance at AAFCO & PFI Meetings
- Responsible for finished product analytical audit program to assure label compliance
- Responsible for chemical presence monitoring of Raw materials / Finished products
- Maintenance of GMO Compliance program including coordination of Annual Eurofin audit
- Budgeting and payment of regulatory associated expenditures
- Manage multiple projects and show technical competence in the planning and completion of assigned projects leading to the development and implementation into production of new or revised products without supervision
- Records, collates, evaluates, and interprets experimental data and makes appropriate recommendations to all levels in the organization through written or oral reports. Maintains an accurate laboratory notebook of all intellectual property.
- Prepare and conduct meeting updates, product cuttings, presentations, shelf life testing and cost analysis to project team members.
- Participate and support QA team in yearly SQF certification including internal audits and paperwork compliance
- Provide necessary technical support to vendors, customers and operations when problems occur with products.
Agility and Innovation
- Conduct innovation work sessions and develop new products and processes in
lab, pilot plant or plant test runs
- When appropriate, supervises technicians, plant personnel and/o interns in the execution of experiments, plant test runs and product/process commissioning
Relationships and People
- Effectively interact with cross-function project teams internal and external through written and oral communications and maintain current understanding of overall project status
- Collaborate with colleagues to make significant individual contribution to deliver goals and execute project plans
Freshpet Kitchens in Bethlehem, PA is a tobacco-free facility.
We offer a competitive salary and full benefit package that includes 401(k), paid vacation, and holidays. Only qualified individuals should submit their resume and salary history. No phone calls or mailed resumes accepted.
Freshpet embraces diversity and is an EOE/M/F/Disabled/A/Veterans.