US-IA-Des MoinesYour Opportunity
This individual will perform the duties of a Refrigeration/Boiler Technician and assist other maintenance personnel on his/her shift.
Responsibilities and tasks are written as follows:
- Have or be able to attain RETA certification
- Demonstrate strong safety leadership skills and follow safe work practices
- Work as part of a team to plan and conduct equipment repairs
- Conduct routine audits and equipment inspections
- Demonstrate troubleshooting abilities
- Maintain open and professional line of communication with operations
- Respond to unplanned/emergency work requests in a timely & effective manner
- Follow food safety and good manufacturing practices
- Be highly motivated and able to work independently
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. May perform other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential functions.
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED) and completion of a formal trades training program, or an equivalent number of years of education and maintenance experience.
- Two years of industrial maintenance experience including comprehensive knowledge in three or more of the following areas:
- RETA Certification
- Ammonia Refrigeration
- Engine & Boiler systems
- Electricity & motor controls
- Controls & instrumentation
- PLC/software & hardware
- Pneumatics & Hydraulics
- Mechanical systems
- Predictive/Predictive maintenance
- Maintenance Planning
- Site utilities
- System analysis & troubleshooting
- Pipefitting & welding
- Metal fabrication
- Basic computer skills and the ability to work independently are also required for this position.
- Preference will be given to candidates with a certification or degree in mechanical, electrical or industrial maintenance and/or related college or technical level course work.
- This is a full time hourly position; all applicants should be willing to work all shifts (days/evenings/overnights), extended hours and weekends.
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
Work Environment & Physical Demands
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The plant environment will include wet or humid conditions (non-weather related), extreme cold and heat (non-weather related), working near moving mechanical parts, exposure to fumes or airborne particles, and chemicals.
- Noise level in the work environment is usually moderate but can be loud when in the production area.
Careers and Benefits
To learn more about Smithfield#39;s benefits, visit smithfieldfoods.com/careerbenefits
About Smithfield Foods
Headquartered in Smithfield, Va. since 1936, Smithfield Foods, Inc. is an American food company with agricultural roots and a global reach. Our 40,000 U.S. and 15,000 European employees are dedicated to producing \"Good food. Responsibly.®\" and have made us one of the world#39;s leading vertically integrated protein companies. We have pioneered sustainability standards for more than two decades, including many industry firsts, such as our ambitious commitment to cut our carbon impact by 25 percent by 2025. We believe in the power of protein to end food insecurity and have donated hundreds of millions of food servings to our neighbors in need. Smithfield boasts a portfolio of high-quality iconic brands, such as Smithfield®, Eckrich® and Nathan#39;s Famous®, among many others. For more information, visit www.smithfieldfoods.com, and connect with us on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and Instagram.
Smithfield is an equal opportunity employer committed to workplace diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, gender identity, protected veterans status, status as a disabled individual or any other protected group status or non-job characteristic as directed by law.