WHO WE ARE
Baldwin Richardson Foods, Co. is global manufacturer of custom food and beverage ingredients and one of the largest African American family-owned and-operated businesses in the food industry. The Company has strong supply relationships with some of the world’s largest Consumer Packaged Goods (CPG), Quick Service Restaurant (QSR) and Food Service customers. Iconic, global food brands entrust Baldwin Richardson Foods as their partner to deliver the highest quality products that exceed industry standards. The Company also manufactures and markets Mrs. Richardson’s Ice Cream Toppings and Nance’s Mustards and Condiments. This role is located in our in Westmont, Illinois facility.
WHAT WE NEED
The Research and Development (R&D) Technician will support the Baldwin Richardson Food’s innovation team by carrying out laboratory operations while making lab batches and utilizing administrative supports skills. The Technician will also maintain the R&D lab and pilot plan in a clean and sanitary manner.
WHAT YOU WILL DO
- Follows detailed instructions to create prototypes as assigned; observes raw material interactions and notes all observations.
- Conducts analytical testing of all prototypes, competitor products and samples using a variety of laboratory equipment to accumulate data for analysis and shelf-life studies when required.
- Sets up, adjusts, operates, calibrates and maintains laboratory equipment and instruments such as a microscope, refractometer, titrator, pH meter, viscometer, and other equipment.
- Supports cost reduction, ingredient substitution, and research project initiatives.
- Assists Food Technologists in Plant trials, new production runs, and product trial revisions as needed.
- Purchases laboratory supplies and assists with record keeping.
A SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATE WILL HAVE:
- Associates degree in Food Science or related discipline.
- 6 months of food processing experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience required.
- GMP & HACCP training preferred.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to read/edit MS Excel and Word files.
- Familiarity with lab equipment and maintenance.
- Ability to multi-task and adapt in a fast-paced work environment.
- Strong communication skills and ability to form and maintain effective working relationships.
- Must be able to act with a sense of urgency.
- To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of Microsoft Office. SAP software is preferred.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk, sit, use hands, reach with hands and arms, climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl, and talk/hear. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, ability to see color, and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be exposed to wet or humid conditions (non-weather), work near moving mechanical parts, work in high, precarious places, fumes or airborne particle, toxic or caustic chemicals, outdoor weather conditions, extreme cold (non-weather), extreme heat (non-weather), risk of electrical shock, work with explosives, risk of radiation, vibration and allergens.