R&D Scientist - Bakery
Supervisor’s Title: Research Manager - Bakery
Department: Research and Development
Exempt Status: Exempt
At Glanbia Nutritionals Inc., our portfolio centers around dairy and non-dairy nutritional ingredients. We co-innovate and deliver ingredient solutions and precision premixes for use in the mainstream food and beverage, infant and clinical, and functional nutrition markets. We are the number one provider of whey-based nutritional ingredients globally and the number one producer of American-style cheddar cheese. Our protein systems have transformed the bar and beverage categories — bringing increased levels of protein, cleaner labels and greater product functionality to market. We have a direct presence in 21 countries, with manufacturing facilities in the US, Germany and China, and international sales and technical offices around the world.
This position is a research scientist working at the bench and pilot plant to support the development strategy of the bakery business. People in this position will perform new product development in the form of ingredient development, applications research, process enhancement and provide technical support for internal groups and external customers.
- New Product Development of bakery and other food products related to utilizing specialty grains, proteins, dough conditioners, mold inhibitors, enzymes, emulsifiers, gluten-free and egg-free systems, etc.
- Plan and design robust experiments that can be statistically analyzed and stand up under scientific scrutiny.
- Work with suppliers and contract manufacturing as needed in developing processes and new ingredients.
- Review scientific literature and pull together potential solutions based on prior work.
- Write reports in a clear, concise and meaningful way including interpretation of scientific data.
- Develop laboratory/bench-top chemical, application and/or clinical analyses
- Operate and troubleshot instruments and pilot equipment in our laboratories creating a more efficient R&D operations
- Make presentations to sales, market, business development personnel, at conferences, meetings, trade shows, and customer visits.
- Provide customer support and visits with a sales rep to give technical assistance to customer-based projects
- Interface with R&D and PSM teams for commercialization of projects within the realm of responsibility
- Take food and supplement formulations from bench-top to pilot plant scale.
- Provide technical support to scale up commercial and collaborative opportunities at external plants.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Comply with all safety policies, practices and procedures. Report all unsafe activities to supervisor and/or Human Resources.
- Participate in proactive team efforts to achieve departmental and company goals.
- Provide leadership to others through example and sharing of knowledge/skill.
- Must possess a B. S. degree with a minimum of seven years related experience and/or training, or equivalent combination of education and experience; Master of Science degree (M. S.) preferred.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret common scientific and technical journals, financial reports, and legal documents. Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community. Ability to write speeches and articles for publication that conforms to prescribed style and format. Ability to effectively present information to sales, marketing and business development teams.
- Proficient personal computer skills including electronic mail, record keeping, nutrition database activity, word processing, spreadsheet, graphics, etc.
- Ability to apply fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations. Must also have ability to apply basic algebra and geometry to practical situations.
- Must have ability to deal with equations formulas and graphs.
- Must be able to handle multiple projects.
- Must be able to use laboratory instruments such as texture analysis, pH meters, balances, autoclave, water activity meter and thermocouples.
- Must have some acumen for food and supplement processing.
Typical Physical Activity
- Frequently involves sitting and standing.
- Must be able to lift and carry items weighing up to 50 pounds.
- Manual dexterity sufficient to reach/handle items, work with the fingers, and perceive attributes of objects and materials.
- Involves light physical activity performing non-strenuous daily activities of a productive/technical nature.
Typical Environmental Conditions
- May be exposed to moderate noise levels (i.e. office equipment, light traffic).
- May be exposed to humidity, intense heat, and toxic chemicals.
- May work in areas with mechanical moving parts.
- Limited overnight travel (15%) by land and/or air.
Must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation efficiently and accurately without causing significant safety threat to self or others. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and/or skills required of all personnel so classified.