Cheese R&D Scientist I
At Glanbia Nutritionals Inc., our portfolio centers around dairy and non-dairy nutritional ingredients. We co-innovate and deliver ingredient solutions and precision premixes for use in the mainstream food and beverage, infant and clinical, and functional nutrition markets. We are the number one provider of whey-based nutritional ingredients globally and the number one producer of American-style cheddar cheese. We have a direct presence in 21 countries, with manufacturing facilities in the US, Germany and China, and international sales and technical offices around the world.
To advance and carry out projects related to the ongoing development of the cheese business. This role will develop and optimize products and processing technologies that drive value and provide a competitive edge.
- Design and carry out research projects in the Cheese Innovation Center (CIC)
- Develop and apply new theories to Glanbia products/processes; utilize new applications to create advanced, innovative products and processes that drive competitive advantage and market leadership for Glanbia
- Create robust experiments (experimental design) that can be statistically analyzed and stand up to scientific scrutiny.
- Make cheese in the pilot plant facility for research and development projects
- Run methods in the analytical lab and troubleshoot issues as needed
- Support with scale-up trials at all production facilities
- Prepare clear, concise, and meaningful reports interpreting scientific data, summarizing product development trials, etc. including next steps and impact on key business initiatives, etc.
- Collect, read, compile, utilize, and synthesize ideas and methods from existing literature, experts, files, and publications
- Work with key equipment vendors for developing new technology that will enhance product performance or process efficiencies
- Work with universities and the food processing industry to develop new products and processes related to cheese production
- Work with Sales and Marketing to provide technical assistance for product development or product enhancement
- Uphold the culture of Glanbia non-negotiables and comply with all safety policies, practices, and procedures.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Must possess a Bachelor of Science degree (B. S.) and a minimum of two years experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret common scientific and technical journals, financial reports, and legal documents. Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community. Ability to write speeches and articles for publication that conforms to prescribed style and format. Ability to effectively present information to sales, marketing and business development teams.
- Proficient personal computer skills including electronic mail, record keeping, nutrition database activity, word processing, spreadsheet, graphics, etc.
- Ability to apply fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations. Must also have ability to apply basic algebra and geometry to practical situations.
- Must have ability to deal with equations, formulas, and graphs.
- Must be able to handle multiple projects.
- Must be able to use laboratory instruments such as texture analysis, pH meters, balances, autoclave, water activity meter and thermocouples.
- Must have some acumen for food and supplement processing.
Typical Physical Activity
- Frequently involves sitting and standing.
- Must be able to lift and carry items weighing up to 50 pounds.
- Manual dexterity sufficient to reach/handle items, work with the fingers, and perceive attributes of objects and materials.
- Involves light physical activity performing non-strenuous daily activities of a productive/technical nature.
Typical Environmental Conditions
- May be exposed to moderate noise levels (i.e. office equipment, light traffic).
- May be exposed to occasional loud noise levels (i.e. manufacturing equipment)
- May be exposed to humidity, intense heat, and toxic chemicals.
- May work in areas with mechanical moving parts.
- Limited overnight travel (10%) by land and/or air.
Must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation efficiently and accurately without causing significant safety threat to self or others. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and/or skills required of all personnel so classified.
Are you someone who likes to make it happen, make it better and make it fun? If so, our company offers you an excellent opportunity to do really interesting work and develop a career in a dynamic and innovative environment that is all about making you and our business successful.