JOB DESCRIPTION- JOB 47.2
JOB TITLE: Research & Development Manager APPROVED BY: President
DEPARTMENT: R&D APPROVED DATE: 6/10/20
REPORTS TO: President CLASSIFICATION: Exempt
SUMMARY: Key responsibilities are: (i) to work cross functionally with internal teams such as Sales, Quality, Production, and Purchasing to initiate and support the goals of the Product Development/R&D Team; (ii) be responsible for leading the team in the evaluation, development, and formulations of new powdered, capsule, and tablet nutritionals and dietary supplement products; (iii) support the company in bringing on new business by working with sales to build relationships with the Company’s customers; (v) motivate the department team to stay ahead of product trends and innovation in the nutritional, supplement and food space; (vi) lead both the sensory team and pilot program; (vii) have problem solving (including production) and critical thinking capabilities; (viii) able to see things from a 50,000 feet level and get granular in details and communicate effectively.
The following reflects management’s definition of essential functions for this job but does not restrict the tasks that may be assigned. Management may assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time due to reasonable accommodation or other reasons.
- Oversee and work with the product development team and customers to develop and formulate new or existing products.
- Work with the Sales department to ensure product quotes are meeting customers price targets. Collaborate on ideas to reduce costs when necessary.
- Oversee and input customers new and/or revised products into formula form and prepare it for quotation process.
- Oversee and work with the team to ensure overages are in all formulations that ensure product will meet specification at the end of shelf life.
- Oversee that all customer formulations are accurate and that packaging specifications are reviewed with the packaging managers prior to going to the customer for signature.
- Collaborate with the Sales department on project management timelines for new products by providing feedback and details needed to be included in our development agreements with our customers
- Directly manage the product development process including benchtop development, pilot, scale-up, and production for powdered, tablet, and capsule products.
- Oversee food technicians in developing flavor systems in formulas or sending base products out to flavor companies as needed
- Oversee and prepare master manufacturing records (MMR) and review all MMR components to ensure finished product will be successful in meeting its specification.
- Collaborate with the Quality department in reviewing stability results of finished products and develop resolution of appropriate formula adjustments.
- Oversee and provide technical guidance for troubleshooting manufacturing problems related to formulation and out of spec powders, tablets, and capsules
- Build alignment with operations and engineering to develop efficient processes in the production of new products to ensure manufacturing meets products specification.
- Oversee and participate in sourcing of new materials for new products. Gather initial documents and needed information for any RMSF, including pricing, minimum order quantities, lead times, and potential supply chain issues.
- Oversee the creation of raw material and finished product specifications.
- Assist with hiring, train, supervise, motivate, and develop PD/Research and Development Department staff; manage schedules and workflow.
- Provide day-to-day guidance and oversight of subordinates; actively work to promote and recognize performance.
- Keep up to date on overall activities of the team, identifying problem areas and taking corrective actions. Provide any support required to assure group and individuals are meeting product development deadlines and company goals.
- Lead the RMSF process by following the raw material validation process consisting of supplier documentation, specification review, physical evaluation, and organoleptic evaluation
- Oversee the label review process of new and revised labels.
- Manage the PD department by providing priorities when going through the weekly sales grid.
- Manages the day to day operations in the R&D lab.
- Work closely with Production to plan for pilots, create blending instructions and any other items that need to be addressed to ensure manufacturability.
- Keep up on market trends of materials being used in the industry and new product innovation. Attend tradeshows, trainings and meet with suppliers to keep skills and knowledge current.
- Manage the Sensory Panel and train internal team to keep skills current
- Lead and support product/company cost reduction projects
- Leverage leadership skills to motivate your team and align others in the company to push new products through the pipeline to meet customers launch dates.
- Perform other duties as assigned by manager.
- The individual (s) is responsible for complying with all rules and regulations in the Employee Handbook and the Safety Manual (IIPP).
- The individual (s) is responsible for completing all the above duties as required within the required time frame.
- The individual (s) must follow all SOPs, GMPs, Safety Rules and other State and Federal Health Guidelines as required by Protein Research.
- The individual (s) must comply with all Plant, State and Federal OSHA, EPA, FDA, HACCP, and SQF regulations.
- It is the responsibility of the individuals to communicate with his or her supervisor when and as necessary to complete their jobs as required.
- Manages Product Development/R&D Department and staff.
- Bachelor’s degree (B.S.) in Food Science or related field or equivalent
- At least 4 years related experience or equivalent with experience in food/nutrition
- Demonstrated proficiency in supervising and motivating subordinates
- Experience with laboratory environment, equipment, and safety procedures
- Flavoring and formulations experience necessary
- Ability to manage priorities and workflows
- Ability to develop clear, concise, and timely oral and written reports
- Commitment to excellence and high standards
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Strong organizational, problem-solving, and analytical skills
- Versatility, flexibility, and able to work with changing priorities with enthusiasm
- Working knowledge of statistical analysis of data, laboratory instrumentation and troubleshooting, and laboratory analysis
- Acute attention to detail
- Ability to work independently and as a member of various teams and committees
- Proficient on MS Word, Excel, Outlook and MRP Software (DBA Manufacturing)
- Working knowledge of regulatory requirements
- Ability to speak, read, write, and understand primary language(s) used in the workplace
- Bilingual skills a plus.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to do the following:
- Coordinate multiple tasks simultaneously
- Collect, interpret, and/or analyze complex data and information
- Utilize visual acuity to operate equipment, read technical information, and/or use a keyboard.
- Sit on an office chair for long periods of time.
- Reach, twist, kneel, squat body to file and reach office equipment on your desk.
- Use hands and fingers to control equipment for forms of communication. (i.e. Phone, Email, Fax, Etc.) by grasping, reaching, and using finger dexterity.
- Office and laboratory environment.
- This position is required to wear common protective and/or safety gear, i.e. gloves, face mask, hairnet, uniform, etc.
- This position is exposed to small particles, odors, and allergens.