McCormick & Company, Inc., a world leader in the spice, flavor and seasonings industry, is seeking a full time Innovation Scientist to join the Research & Development team. This new hire will work at the Technical Innovation Center in Hunt Valley, MD. The Innovation Scientist will report to a Director of Product Development.
With more than $5 billion in annual sales, the Company manufactures markets and distributes spices, seasoning mixes, condiments and other flavorful products to the entire food industry - retail outlets, food manufacturers and foodservice businesses. We create differentiating flavors consumers prefer with unmatched quality, science, innovation and service. Every day, no matter where or what you eat, you can enjoy food flavored by McCormick. McCormick makes every moment and meal better ™
As a company recognized for exceptional commitment to employees, McCormick offers a wide variety of benefits, programs and services. Benefits include, but are not limited to, tuition assistance, medical, dental, vision, disability, group life insurance, 401(k), profit sharing, paid holidays and vacations.
Responsibilities of this position include creative product development, strong scientific curiosity and knowledge to lead technology development, excellent product development support for the customer, commercialization of products (understanding of processes and operations for manufacture), and a strong understanding of consumer and general sensory testing, including its application to product development. Develop and manage customer relationship at all levels. Plays role as mentor and developer of talent.
• Lead development of seasonings, flavors, model food systems or new ingredients
• Responsible for commercialization of products (understanding of processes and operations for product manufacture) and trouble shooting problems.
• Complex Project Management: Plan and lead project teams, defining and assessing of project requirements, .designing and managing experiments.
• Driving the investigation and discovery of new ingredients and technologies.
• Provide support as internal expert on projects performed in other groups within McCormick, with outside consultants, and / or with vendors
• Lead product development support for USIG customers validate performance against corporate business goals. Interface and communicate project status with customers and commercial team
• Participate and represent McCormick in professional organizations. Liaison for Technical expertise to other R&D groups, customers and to Operations & Quality functions.
• Ability to supervise and instruct lower level employees
Level of Education and Discipline
BSc or MSc in Food Science/Technology, Food Engineering, Chemistry, or a related field
Certification and/or Licenses
Experience - functional/industry/commercial knowledge, business acumen Minimum of 5-10 years experience in the field is required An in-depth understanding of ingredients and technology along with their impact on product taste and functionality Establishes and maintains relationships with key customers, Knowledge of food industry and key competitors, food ingredients, manufacturing processes, quality assurance programs and food regulations Proficient in product development and commercialization across a wide variety of finished product application categories including industry relevant experience.
Interpersonal Skills - leadership, interactions, communication, influence Ability to communicate effectively through both written and oral communications with customers, and interdepartmental/cross functional groups and business leaders as appropriate Proven intellectual curiosity and self-starter, collaborative behavior Ability to influence others and do so in a leadership role. Daily interactions with internal (R&D) parties and cross functional teams as well as Business leadership Frequently interacts with vendors Regularly interacts with customers and McCormick commercial teams
McCormick & Company is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
As a general policy, McCormick does not offer employment visa sponsorships upon hire or in the future.