Mizkan America, Inc.
Location: Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Job Title: Quality Manager
Reports To: Corporate Director, Quality Control
FLSA Status: Exempt
COMMENTS: This job description reflects assignment of essential functions; it does not prescribe or restrict the tasks that may be assigned.
SUMMARY: The Quality Manager performs all functions needed to ensure food safety, product quality and regulatory compliance, maintain quality management system, and BRC programs which assure a foundation for product excellence and provide a basis for long-term continuous improvement.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Manages QA/Food Safety technical and compliance system to ensure food safety by creating, maintaining, updating, evaluating, or auditing all programs and policies as needed for full certification according to Good Manufacturing Practices, HAACP, FSMA, GFSI, etc.
- Lead and support Mizkan and external standards (GFSI.) implementation and drive the appropriate Q&FS mindset and behavior.
- Oversee third-party audits, customer audits, and government audits.
- Manage quality and food safety incidents, supporting decision making for out of specification materials and products, ensuring that relevant established corrective and preventive actions are implemented. Accountable for quality food safety risk assessments
- The role participates in key continuous improvement projects in close collaboration with factory team, Business unit functions including operations, engineering, commercial and supplier quality assurance
- Participates in new product scale-ups and rollouts, verifying complete compliance of Mizkan and customer specification information
- Review process deviations to support operation in root cause analysis and evaluations of current processing, working with internal or outside process authority, as necessary.
- Formulate, direct, and participate in the development and implementation of goals, objectives, policies, and procedures for the quality assurance department.
- Work with production personnel in an advisory role to assist them with quality issues within their departments.
- Oversee analytical work done at each step of the production process to assure that quality control standards are maintained.
- Develop lab and plant specifications for each product.
- Provide technical support to customers and consumers complaints and assist in the resolution of problems.
- Hire, train, supervise, mentor, and develop Quality staff. Evaluate performance and activity of team members and provide appropriate feedback. Make staffing recommendations to ensure appropriate resources are allocated to achieve departmental objectives/projects.
- Provide quality training to production employees.
- Provide support in the development of new and revised quality SOPs, executes validation & qualification studies, perform investigations and other assignments as required. (i.e. RMDR, Holds, Rework & Customer Complaints).
- Initiates, investigates, and completes CAPA for all QA deviations under the guidance of plant management and Corporate Quality.
- Support Plant Manager and HQ Director/VP in planning, developing, and monitoring Quality department budget.
- Perform special projects as assigned.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- 5 7 years of Quality Assurance experience.
- 3+ years in relevant experience in food quality and/or Manufacturing environment
- 3 years of proven leadership with management experience in equivalent role.
- Bachelors Degree in food science or chemistry or equivalent education and experience.
- PCQI and HACCP certification is preferred.
- Have knowledge in laboratory testing procedures including chemical, microbiology, and basic instrument testing as well as sensory analysis.
- Must possess the ability to work with all levels of employees in various functions within the organization.
- Understanding of Good Laboratory Practices and Good Manufacturing Practices.
- Proven written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong math skills and the ability to develop and implement a SPC program.
- Computer literacy in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook