As part of our FS/QA team, you would conduct routine sanitation checks, ensuring that HAACP and USDA regulations are strictly enforced. Providing technical expertise to track product from start to finish, and develop corrective actions when needed. You will be responsible for ensuring that we are able to safely deliver the best Smithfield, Eckrich, Nathan#39;s Famous, or any of our product brands to customers and consumers.The Quality Assurance Technologist is responsible for ensuring the overall quality in the distribution center through the management of regulatory, company, customer policies, programs and work instructions. This role is expected to conduct and document verifications of warehouse quality and food safety programs. This position is responsible for monitoring company and facility programs, which may include but is not limited to: pre-op sanitation, product and room temperatures, refrigeration, deep chill, freezing and tempering at the distribution center and third party cold storage facilities as assigned; product inspections and retentions; monitoring and resolving retained product; value adding operations such as product dating, weighing, labeling, and boxing; and GMPs. The Quality Assurance Technologist assists in managing quality programs and exercising technical expertise, including training, assessing performance and making improvements.
- Conducts quality inspections.
- Maintain quality objectives, prevent complaints and claims through verification of warehouse policy program adherence through inspections, non-compliance procedures, appropriate reporting, corrective actions and accuracy of paperwork.
- Routine verifications and inspections include temperature compliance, retained product, warehouse audits, shipping and receiving and value added processes.
- Assist in the verification that assigned warehouses are following, documenting and reporting program compliance relative to deep chill, tempering and freezing.
- Ensure policies, programs and procedures are implemented and maintained.
- Works with other departments to implement procedure changes, based on predetermined specifications, programs and policies, involving warehouse, cold storage and finished goods to remedy the cause of any non-compliance as quickly as possible.
- Ability to interpret customer and sales specifications, as needed, and apply subjective quality decisions to product (ie: product appearance, color, texture, etc).
- Required to take action in response to poor observations by identifying and correcting deficiencies.
- Utilize technical knowledge to prevent and identify the root cause of process or product failures.
- Continuous improvement of product quality through attention to process expected.
- Activities will include Quality Assurance program management, assessing and reporting deep chill, tempering and freezing processes, training on quality functions, assessing policies, programs and specs and updating Operations.
- In the absence of key personnel the employee#39;s supervisor or qualified designee (one that has been trained in the key employee#39;s duties) is responsible to complete or delegate the completion of all required tasks and responsibilities.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. May perform other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential functions.
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED) and 2+ years of relevant experience, required.
- Associate#39;s degree, preferred.
- Ability to create, revise and interpret technical documents such as quality specifications, safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
- Knowledge and understanding of quality assurance principles, warehouse management systems and SAP.
- A high level of technical expertise, ownership and practical knowledge of all Quality Assurance and regulatory programs.
- Ability to write routine reports and correspondence.
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite: Excel, PowerPoint and Word.
- Comprehensive experience and understanding of USDA Rules and Regulations.
- Ability to uphold regulatory, company, and customer standards.
- Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong decision making and problem solving skills.
- Strong conflict resolution skills.
- Ability to work well with others in fast paced, dynamic environment.
- Ability to be respectful, approachable and team oriented while building strong working relationships and a positive work environment.
Work Environment & Physical Demands
The work environment characteristics and physical demands described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Office and warehouse setting. The warehouse environment will include extreme cold, working near moving mechanical parts, exposure to fumes or airborne particles, and chemicals.
- Noise level in the work environment is usually moderate but can be loud when in the loading areas.
- Occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- Specific vision includes close vision, distance vision, and ability to adjust focus.
- Frequently required to stand; walk; use hands to handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl and talk or hear.
Careers and Benefits
To learn more about Smithfield#39;s benefits, visit smithfieldfoods.com/careerbenefits
About Smithfield Foods
Headquartered in Smithfield, Va. since 1936, Smithfield Foods, Inc. is an American food company with agricultural roots and a global reach. Our 40,000 U.S. and 15,000 European employees are dedicated to producing \"Good food. Responsibly.®\" and have made us one of the world#39;s leading vertically integrated protein companies. We have pioneered sustainability standards for more than two decades, including many industry firsts, such as our ambitious commitment to cut our carbon impact by 25 percent by 2025. We believe in the power of protein to end food insecurity and have donated hundreds of millions of food servings to our neighbors in need. Smithfield boasts a portfolio of high-quality iconic brands, such as Smithfield®, Eckrich® and Nathan#39;s Famous®, among many others. For more information, visit www.smithfieldfoods.com, and connect with us on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and Instagram.
Smithfield is an equal opportunity employer committed to workplace diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, gender identity, protected veterans status, status as a disabled individual or any other protected group status or non-job characteristic as directed by law.