Vermont Smoke & Cure
Quality Assurance Technician I
Friday Sunday (6am to 6:30pm) shift differential
At Vermont Smoke & Cure, a subsidiary of Johnsonville, LLC, we have been consciously crafting delicious smoked meats and meat snacks since 1962. We use humanely raised meats, whenever possible, and simple, local ingredients, combined with the highest quality spices and herbs like tamarind and quarter crack pepper. Our team of employee-owners makes everything in our smokehouse right here in the hills of Vermont. We pride ourselves on being a good neighbor and valuable partner to our local farmers. This is simply the way we do business and the beauty is, it all combines to create the finest flavor in every bite. Come join our team and make products that are selling all over the country. Get in on the ground floor of a growing company!
Summary: The Quality Assurance Technician I is a steward of VS&C s Food Safety and Quality systems modeled in accordance with USDA-FSIS regulations in an SQF Certified facility. The Member in this role supports the success of the Operations Team by providing coaching and oversight in food safety, sanitation, processing, and product quality. The Member in this role is a contributor to the assessment, analysis, documentation, and reporting functions of the Quality Assurance Department. The QA Technician I ensures all product is produced in compliance with regulatory requirements, specifications, and customer requirements. The QA Technician also supports trials related to qualification of new products, materials, equipment, and processes.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: This position currently has no direct reports.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide real-time support to the Operation in matters of Food Safety and Food Quality.
- Support interface with USDA-FSIS Regulators in a SQF Certified Facility.
- Support external communication as needed in an Audit setting.
- Coach & Teach Quality Systems for members, actively auditing daily for compliance issues.
- Conduct audits in GMP compliance and facility condition.
- Perform record review, data entry, and analysis of batch records and process monitoring records.
- Evaluate the effectiveness of the Sanitation Program by performing operational and environmental monitoring of processing areas, including microbiological and ATP sampling and analysis.
- Provide training for Production Team Members driving compliance with company policies and procedures of VS&C s Food Safety and Quality systems.
- Develop and maintain procedures associated with the Food Safety and Quality systems, including HACCP Plans, Pre-Requisite Programs, and supporting documentation.
- Initiate and Support investigations in matters of Operational non-conformances, Customer Complaints, and other non-compliance issues.
- Perform analytical and microbiological sampling and analysis.
- Maintain shelf-life studies.
- Support Qualification and Verification projects for new products and processes.
- Hold non-conforming product and equipment. Disposition non-conforming product and equipment. Create records of non-conformance.
- Follow QMS standards, policies, and procedures.
- Provide coverage in the absence of other members of the Quality Assurance Department.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Functional/Technical Skills perform test methods, data collection, analysis.
- Communication effective communicator; friendly and engaging style. Request corrective action for deviations when identified and perform training.
- Problem Solving Use logic to solve difficult problems with effective and practical solutions. Involve team members in problem solving/root cause corrective action.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint.
- Strong work ethic with desire to learn.
- Ability to navigate a largely self-directed work environment.
- Associate Degree is preferred, Bachelor s Degree a plus.
- 1-2+ years of Quality Assurance experience in food manufacturing industry preferred.
- Statistics and analytical experience desired.
- Documentation experienced desired.
- Experience with inspection and testing equipment and how to assess tool accuracy and tolerances desired.
- Practical knowledge of regulatory, HACCP, GFSI and other applicable standards desired.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/WORKING CONDITIONS:
- Dental insurance
- Disability insurance
- Health insurance
- Health savings account
- Paid time off
- Vision insurance
- 401K with employer matching
Vermont Smoke & Cure is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Applications from women, individuals with disabilities, veterans, and people from diverse cultural backgrounds are encouraged.