Michael Foods, Inc. is a leading food processor and distributor with business in egg products, refrigerated grocery, and potato products and offers exciting job possibilities throughout our organization. Join our company and be part of an innovative team that’s First in Food – where you can enhance your career, sharpen your talents, and make an impact.
Quality Assurance Technician II is responsible for executing corporate and plant specific Food Safety, Quality and Laboratory policies and procedures. Reports to FSQ Manager and can identify non-compliances to customer or company requirements. Assists Quality Manager in the verification and documentation of regulatory programs (SQF, HACCP, SOP, GMP and product labeling).
- Understands components of a Food Safety Plan.
- Performs preoperational and GMP inspections.
- Performs verification and training of Process Preventative Controls.
- Inspect incoming materials and verify COAs meet agreed specification.
- Oversees product quality and production quality control checks.
- Reviews production records and batch sheets for completeness.
- Reports out of specification results, negative trends, or unusual events to Quality Assurance Manager and Production Supervisor.
- Enters data to generate COAs for customers.
- Verify food safety and quality criteria is met before releasing product for shipping.
- Performs Environmental Monitoring including swabbing and air plates. Submits samples to outside lab for analysis, conducts follow-up and investigation.
- Supports scheduled quality assurance functions such as water sampling, mock recall, equipment calibration, record keeping and housekeeping functions, document review, etc.
- Participates in projects related to Quality Assurance and Food Safety or requested by Production Managers, i.e. form revisions, formatting documents, organizing records and training materials, document control.
- Actively participate in and promote our safety culture by following safe work practices and adhering to all safety policies and procedures. Responsible for reporting all incidents, accidents and observations of unsafe acts or conditions.
- Lab duties, including:
- Prepare basic lab necessities such as buffer, sterile water bottles, etc.
- Plate all production samples for total plate count, coliform, yeast, mold, on 3M Petrifilm.
- Run solids on products as needed
- Read and interpret plates and results
- Data entry of microbiological results
- Lab equipment cleaning and calibration
- Maintain library of retention samples
- Maintain inventory of consumable testing supplies and re-order as needed.
- Lead group sensory testing
- Serve as back-up for FSQ Manager and QA Technician tasks as needed.
BS.in Science –Food Science preferred, but not required. (or 3+ years of experience in Food manufacturing / Quality)
PCQI certificate preferred
3 or more years of experience in Food manufacturing / Quality role.
SQF level 3 experience preferred
Bilingual Spanish is a plus
Strong mathematical skills
Ability to follow directions, make decisions and work independently.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
Microsoft Office, work well in a team environment, dependable and punctual.