Reports to: Vice President Food Safety and Quality
The quality assurance manager ensures all products meet certain thresholds of acceptability. Assures consistent quality of production by developing practices, validating processes, providing documentation and managing staff. They work to improve the organization#39;s efficiency and profitability by reducing waste.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Accomplishes quality assurance objectives by recruiting, selecting, orienting, training, assigning, scheduling, coaching, counseling, and disciplining employees; communicating job expectations; planning, monitoring, appraising, and reviewing job contributions; enforcing policies and procedures. Overseeing entire QA and Food Safety Department.
- Achieves quality assurance operational objectives by contributing information and analysis to strategic plans and reviews; preparing and completing action plans; implementing production, productivity, quality, and customer-service standards; identifying and resolving problems; completing audits; determining system improvements; implementing change.
- Develops quality assurance plans by conducting hazard analyses; identifying critical control points and preventive measures; establishing critical limits, monitoring procedures, corrective actions, and verification procedures; monitoring inventories. Maintain and develop as needed company food safety, HACCP, Quality, and Sanitation Standard Operational programs and procedural manuals.
- Maintain and develop all certifications for various program including but not limited to USDA Organic, Animal Welfare, European Union, BRC, etc.
- Validates quality processes by establishing product specifications and quality attributes; measuring production; documenting evidence; determining operational and performance qualification; writing and updating quality assurance procedures.
- Maintains and improves product quality by completing product, company, system, compliance, and surveillance audits; investigating customer complaints; collaborating with other members of management to develop new product and engineering designs, and manufacturing and training methods.
- Prepares quality documentation and reports by collecting, analyzing and summarizing information and trends including failed processes, stability studies, recalls, corrective actions, and re-validations.
- Updates job knowledge by studying trends in and developments in quality management; participating in educational opportunities. Enhances department and organization reputation by accepting ownership for accomplishing new and different requests; exploring opportunities to add value to job accomplishments.
- Ensure all company safety guidelines are being followed as well as food safety requirements. Monitor and ensure proper procedures, safety and cleanliness.
- Determine overall plant product quality by conducting and evaluating various product tests and tests related to packaging by planning and implementing traceability testing and monitoring. Responsible for planning and implementing shelf life testing and monitoring.
- Resolve major quality problems at Packers facilities, warehouses, and market areas as required.
- Educate and instruct plant personnel in recommended quality control testing, equipment sanitation and general sanitation and housekeeping practices. Confirm these procedures are being maintained.
- Consult with plant management and personnel on better operational procedures to improve overall efficiency and product yields.
- Discuss plant evaluation with plant management, make appropriate recommendations and set timetable for improvement and corrections.
- Perform various duties as assigned.
- Process Improvement
- Analyzing Information
- Strategic Planning
- Verbal and Written Communication
- Quality Engineering
- Emphasizing Excellence
- Attention to Detail
- Dealing with Complexity
This position manages all employees of the department and is responsible for the performance management and hiring of the employees within that department.
This job operates in a professional office environment as well as plant production environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines. A large portion of the work will be performed in the plant which required safety equipment such as safety shoes, glasses, gloves, hearing protection, and hard hats.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
The employee is occasionally required to sit; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 20 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position. Days and hours of work are Monday through Friday. This position can regularly require long hours.
Travel is primarily local during the business day, although some out-of-the-area and overnight travel may be expected
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in food science, microbiology, or equivalent.
- At least 5 years of work experience in quality assurance, HACCP and Food Safety should be combined with a demonstrated track-record of accomplishments as a quality assurance manager, and with satisfying customers in animal slaughter and fabrication food safety.
- Animal slaughter and fabrication food safety experience.
- Sanitation management experience.
Preferred Additional Eligibility Qualifications
- Value added and cooked product food safety experience.
- Experience with FDA and international quality system rules, regulations, including planning and implementation.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.