Purpose and Key Results of the Position
The Quality Assurance Manager is responsible for all quality and regulatory related activities to meet company service, quality, cost, safety, and personnel objectives including development, implementation, and monitoring of all necessary programs. This position provides quality system leadership and technical direction with a focus on proactive quality improvement and product safety. Responsibilities include: interviewing, hiring, training, planning/assigning/directing work, appraising performance, rewarding/disciplining, addressing compliance, and resolving problems.
• Ensure facility meets all regulatory, sanitation and product safety guidelines.
• Responsible for ensuring effective Trace/Recall system and protocol.
• Ensure food security/safety programs are effective and manage emerging issues.
• Provide risk assessment analysis.
• Function as Safe Quality Foods (SQF) Practitioner for the local manufacturing facilities.
• Manage issues with non-conforming product to assure proper control, minimize losses, and provide analysis to eliminate future occurrences.
• Conduct sanitation and product safety inspections.
• Assist Research and Development (R&D) with commercialization and troubleshooting production issues – Technical R&D training may be required.
• Ensure the highest standards of quality and continuously seek out opportunities to improve products and processes.
• Establish and maintain key product requirements including analytical and sensory.
• Investigate and respond to customer/consumer inquiries. Use plant specific consumer complaint information to develop quality improvement focus areas. Provide root cause and correction reports for product quality issues.
• Support Department Managers in production contamination related root cause/corrective action activity.
• Read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, and government regulations.
• Write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals.
• Present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
• Establish and maintain ingredient and packaging quality management programs.
• Continually seek and implement cost savings and productivity improvement projects.
• Educate plant personnel in the fundamentals of basic food chemistry, basic applied statistics, Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP), sanitation, and regulatory requirements.
Food Safety and Quality - GFSI Program
• Oversee the development, implementation, review, and maintenance of the SQF System, including food safety fundamentals.
• Ensure the integrity of the SQF System.
• Communicate to relevant personnel all information essential to ensure the effective implementation and maintenance of the SQF System.
• Establish and implement the training needs of the organization’s personnel.
• Validate changes to the food safety fundamentals and food safety plans including Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Points (HACCP).
• Coordinate the completion of all corrective actions.
• Manage food safety activities related to onsite and second party laboratories.
• Manage the implementation and maintenance of the HACCP Plans and Prerequisite Programs:
o HACCP Coordinator.
o Recall Coordinator.
o Manage HOLD, product release and product dispositions.
o Approve suppliers.
o Audit supplier as needed.
o Manage facility food safety certifications.
o Train employees as needed.
o Participate as a member of the HACCP and FSMT teams.
• Ensure compliance of company policies within all local, state, and federal regulations including, but not limited to, OSHA regulations and wage and hour laws.
• Carry out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with organization’s policies and applicable laws, including disciplinary action.
• Manage and maintain a qualified technical staff.
• Conduct annual performance assessments. Coach and develop staff by providing an environment that encourages innovation and professional development.
• Draft and administer development plans and provide development opportunities.
• Adheres to safety programs in order to provide a safe and clean workplace for fellow employees within the regulations of all OSHA local, state and federal regulations.
• Complete necessary trainings to ensure all certifications required for role are maintained as current. Certifications may include, but are not limited to, Injury and Illness Prevention Program (IIPP), Back Safety, Forklift, Arc Flash, Confined Space, etc.
• Maintains the safety of equipment, providing preventive maintenance and training programs and oversee all necessary repairs as needed.
• Performs other assignments from time to time as requested by the Director of Quality Systems to achieve department and company business goals.
• Maintain regular attendance in accordance with Attendance and Punctuality standards.
• Complete training required for position and maintain applicable certifications.
Knowledge, Skills and Ability
• Extensive knowledge of comprehensive food quality/food safety standards.
• Well versed in GMP, personal safety, and regulatory compliance.
• Ability to translate business needs into strategies and viable action plans.
• Excellent leadership and communication skills.
• Excellent problem-solving abilities. Understand team-based systems; participation, empowerment, and embedding of accountability.
• Intermediate knowledge of Microsoft Office
• Ability to create and manage annual budget.
• Demonstrate cooperative behavior with colleagues, supervisors and managers at all times.
• Work well under pressure in order to meet multiple, and sometimes, competing deadlines.
• Bachelor#39;s degree (B.S.) in Food Science or related field or 4 additional years of relevant experience.
• Five years’ experience in the quality control or quality assurance in food industry.
• Two years’ experience in food production management.
• Global Food Safety Initiative (GFSI) experience, implementing and maintaining the program (SQF/BRC or equivalent).
• HACCP certified with experience in implementation of the program.