Location: Owensboro, Kentucky
Job Title: Manager, Quality Assurance
Department: Quality Assurance
Reports To: Corporate Quality Control Director
Backup: Plant Manager/Director
Comments: The Manager, Quality Assurance will work for Mizkan America, Inc. at the Owensboro, Kentucky (Ragu) sauce plant. The plant is a high speed processing and packaging facility which produces sauces for both the Rag and Bertolli pasta sauce brands. This position will report to the Corporate Quality Control Director and is responsible for the quality assurance programs at the plant. This job description reflects assignment of essential functions. It does not prescribe or restrict the tasks that may be assigned.
Summary: The Quality Manager performs and manages all functions needed to ensure food safety, product quality and regulatory compliance, maintain quality management systems, and GFSI standards which assure a foundation for product excellence and provide a basis for long-term continuous improvement. This position is also responsible to perform quality oversight functions at the local plant on behalf of Mizkan HQ Quality.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Direct responsibility for the safety of all employees assigned to his/her department.
- Overall responsibility for product safety and product quality, and drive for superior quality results.
- Control of product releases and administration of non-conforming goods control to ensure only safe and quality products are released.
- Oversee the resolution of product/process non-conforming incidents and verifying the effectiveness of corrective and preventative actions to eliminate reoccurrence.
5. Drive the creation and implementation of plant food safety and quality management systems in consistence with Mizkan America HQ quality management system requirements, and assure its effectiveness.
- Ensure good quality practices, deliver continuous quality improvement, and communicate openly and timely about quality risks and opportunities to plant personnel as well as Mizkan America Quality.
- Develop and maintain vendor partnerships to ensure continuous improvement in quality and cost of service in components.
- Manage internal and external auditing of quality systems and prepare score cards and corrective actions for improvements.
- Audit local policies, procedures, and systems that affect product quality to assure compliance.
- Work with production and other relevant operational personnel to drive for quality issue resolution and improvement.
- Provide quality training to production and other relevant employees.
- Evaluation, preparation and control of quality department budget to ensure its adequacy and effective use for the execution of quality goals and objectives.
- Formulate, direct, and participate in the development and implementation of goals, objectives, policies, and procedures for the quality assurance department.
- Provide leadership, development and guidance to direct report staff.
- BS in Food Science or technology, Food Engineering, Biology or related field. MS is a plus.
- Minimum 10 years of Quality Assurance experience in food processing industry, and 5 years of experience in managerial or equivalent role in a high output automated factory setting is preferred.
- Experience in shelf-stable thermally processed foods industry and better thermal process control school certificate is preferred
- Ability to conduct quality activities with integrity, knowledge, depth and evidence-based decision making without wavering.
- Communicate openly and genuinely with strong intention to improve the quality performance.
- In depth understanding and expertise of quality improvement techniques such as 5S, fish bone analysis, 5W technique and Statistic techniques is preferred.
- Possess strong desire for continuous improvements, challenge status quo and is a self-starter.
- Possess can do attitude, take ownership, and passion about delivering tangible results.
- Ability to identify coherent and insightful key steps/actions for quality projects, and deliver quality results within defined time line with urgency.
- Ability to use facts and data to make decisions and prioritize actions.
- Have knowledge in laboratory testing procedures including chemical, microbiology, and basic instrument testing as well as sensory analysis. Must possess the ability to work with all levels of employees in various functions within the organization.
- Must be capable of using influence to gain support for desired process changes; functions as a business partner with the plant leadership.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, and computer literacy in Microsoft Word and Excel.