Provide technical and business leadership support to DFA Beverage & Dairy Foods senior leadership and manufacturing plants in the areas of quality assurance and food safety while ensuring alignment with overall strategic goals of the department and the business unit. Provide oversight and support to all aspects of quality within the division and with the customers. This position is expected to inspire customers and employees to greater levels of professionalism, quality, productivity and engagement. The Director of Quality Assurance will work closely with Divisional Leadership, Plant Management, Plant Employees and serve as a liaison with the DFA enterprise support departments.
- Ensure B&DF overall quality is positioned as strategic, positive, and intentional with customers, plants, employees, R&D and DFA leadership.
- Cultivate business relationships supporting a culture of inclusion and support.
- Provide leadership and daily direction to the plant QA managers and all QA department leadership and employees.
- Provide direction to assure that the facilities have the systems, knowledge, capabilities, and practices to comply with all internal Quality Assurance and Food Safety policies and procedures in addition to all pertinent FDA, USDA, State, and customer requirements.
- Interface with facilities, regulatory agencies and customers to address issues identified for improvement, innovation or resolution.
- Provide direction with respect to the development of systems, practices and verification to help ensure that the facilities meets regulations and requirements.
- Provide timely communication and written summaries to the VP- QA & VP of the Business unit regarding activities, findings and compliance to programs/policies.
- Maintain and be responsible for the execution and achievement of plant & Corporate Quality Assurance KPI s.
- Serve as a business partner to the B&DF business unit and ensure regular communication with the management team.
- Business and Operational Partnership
o Support 24/7 plant operations
o Lead and work with the Directors of Operations and Plant management teams to ensure all customer complaints are investigated and addressed in a timely manner. Provide necessary updates to B&DF leadership working through the respective Director of Operations. Communicate root cause and initiate CAPA s as needed. Assist with communication back to the customer/consumer.
o Manage employee s performance through establishing expectations, holding people accountable and developing the understanding of the sense of urgency.
o Identify and implement developmental plans for QA Managers and supervisory staff reporting directly and indirectly to the position.
o Establish and manage QA s cost centers budget to ensure Divisional financial achievement.
o Support and act as main point of contact for customer visits/audits, achieve and maintain all required training and ensure follow up by the plant on any required quality/food safety action items.
o When necessary, fill in for plant QA Manager.
o Monitor compliance to customer specifications and any trends in data that may lead to rejection or non-compliance. Collaborate with operations to develop and implement preventive programs as needed.
o Ensure communication and alignment with QA managers and Plant managers regarding current state and any future planning/action regarding Quality Assurance programs, capital needs and optimization of process.
o Support new specification review and matrix additions to production.
o Partner with business development as needed to support potential customer meetings and requests.
o Partner with B&DF Innovation as needed to support new product and process development.
- Ensure compliance to FSMA, Internal QA/FS Programs and Policies-
- Oversee plant Food Quality and Food Safety Plans to ensure they are current, relevant and are being followed and implemented. Ensure all CCP s are appropriate and records are complete and accurate.
- Monitor CAPA Programs to ensure root cause analysis is performed and timely closure. Work with the plant on any items that require capital and assist with the completion of those requests.
- Monitor Environmental monitoring data for plants involved with PEM to ensure compliance to programs. Remain cognizant of all current and historic pathogen activity. Lead mitigation efforts as needed.
- Ensure all plant documentation and record keeping is complete, reviewed and any deviations are addressed and closed out. Assist plant in maintaining a current list of all records including; record purpose, location and process owner for review.
- Ensure all Internal Audits are completed as required, any action items include a responsible person and expected closure date.
- Liaison with corporate managers of Sanitation to ensure all sanitation programs are current, records are complete, and Sanitarians are trained. Review plant service reports and ensure action on any suggestions from the external representatives. Work with the Sanitarians to ensure continued training and education of chemical use, software, SSOP practices and sanitation verification activities.
- Ensure Pest Control programs are current and compliant.
- Ensure Raw Material Vendors and Supplies are approved.
- Assist plants with required Traceability and Mock Recall activity.
- Ensure GMP s, facility hygiene and housekeeping are maintained.
- Participate in Risk Assessment and infrastructure evaluation.
- Monitor trends in data. Work with the Plant Manager and QA Manager to track product hold and understand the cost of non-conformance.
- Training and Mentoring
- Ensure direct and indirect reports have SMART (Strategic, Measurable, Actionable, Relevant and Timely) job objectives that support the overall QA and Food Safety strategic objectives as well as Operational and Business Objectives.
- Participate, develop and deliver essential training (Front Line Supervisor, Continuous Improvement, etc.) as required.
- Prepare training plans for direct and in-direct reports to ensure that all current and new procedures, policies and work instructions have been reviewed and signed off. Ensure comprehension of those programs
have been documented.
- Ensure all QA Managers have completed required on-boarding activities.
- Ensure training on all current and new regulatory requirements (Federal and State).
- Participate in review of corporate program and procedure reviews.
- Maintain customer relationships for quality, food safety and regulatory compliance.
- Participate and promote continuous improvement activities.
- Serve on Corporate project teams as required.