Reports to: Quality Assurance Manager
The quality assurance assistant manager is a key component to the plant food safety team. They are responsible for the food safety and quality programs including but not limited to the HACCP Program, SSOP, Pre-requisite and SOP Programs. The Assistant Managers is expected to monitor, document, communicate, and if necessary control, situations/issues regarding safety, food safety, sanitation, and product quality.It is the duty of a quality assurance assistant manager to ensure consistent compliance with all divisions, corporate and regulatory requirements.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Responsible for all aspects of Food Safety and Quality Programs. Primary responsibilities being the HACCP Program, SSOP, Pre-requisite, and SOP Programs.
- Confirm that plant training procedures and company policies are followed.
- They will be given specific tasks that may require more competent follow-0up and documentation trails.
- This person will work within the Food Safety chain of command, while directly reporting to the Food Safety and Quality Director.
- Determine overall plant product quality by conducting and evaluating various product tests and tests related to ingredients and packaging.
- Conduct on line training with new or in qualification quality assurance technicians.
- Evaluate and take corrective action when necessary with regard to product date coding and trade age management at all levels of product movement.
- Educate and instruct plant personnel in recommended quality control testing, equipment sanitation and general sanitation and housekeeping practices. Confirm these procedures are being maintained.
- Consult with plant management and personnel on better operational procedures to improve overall efficiency and product yields.
- Discuss plant evaluation with plant management, make appropriate recommendations and set timetable for improvement and corrections.
- Work closely between production and QA management to ensure the wholesomeness, safety, and quality of products produced.
- Assist in development of special department projects and work in conjunction with manager, quality assurance services.
- Accept responsibility of training and preparing new employees for this position.
- Performance Management.
- Technical Capacity.
- Problem Solving/Analysis.
- Decision Making.
- Communication Proficiency.
- Collaboration Skills.
- Leadership and motivational skills
This position has direct supervisory responsibilities, and serves as a coach and mentor for other positions in the department.
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines. A large portion of the work will be performed in the plant where the noise may be loud.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
The employee is occasionally required to sit; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 20 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position. Days and hours of work are Monday through Friday. This position can regularly require long hours.
No travel is expected for this position.
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in chemistry, biology, micro biology or food science.
- 2-4 years of experience in field, laboratory, or production facility quality control.
Preferred Additional Eligibility Qualifications
- Team leader experience
- HACCP certification
- 1 year experience as a QA Lead or Supervisor
- Food Safety Management in the Beef Industry
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.