The team member is responsible for all aspects of the quality assurance program and department. The position oversees the personnel in the QA department and ensures that policies and procedures are followed throughout the plant.
Essential duties, responsibilities, and qualifications of the job can be performed with or without reasonable accommodation and without posing a direct threat to him/herself or others.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Perform weekly sanitation audit and inspection of equipment before plant starts up for the week
- Perform monthly food safety audit by inspecting all equipment, plant, and outside perimeter and warehouse for food safety hazards
- Perform glass audit monthly by inspecting all glass/brittle material present in the plant
- Perform monthly foot bath audit by inspecting all foot baths and hand dips in the plant to ensure they are at proper concentrations
- Ensure results of each audit are documented and corrected
- Oversee FTQ program and ensure holds are reduced to the minimum possible
- Daily review of customer complaints, complete investigation and response, and ensure corrective actions are completed
- Make schedules for QA techs and micro lab techs
- Supervise, lead, and motivate employees to do job correctly, efficiently, and safely
- Review quality assurance department paperwork for accuracy and completeness
- Perform retests and release those that pass
- Inspect plant and personnel for GMP compliance
- Investigate all foreign material complaints, identify root causes, and ensure corrective action is completed
- Review and approve employees’ timecards
- Fill out customer questionnaires and inquiries
- Organize and schedule product cuttings
- Provide quarterly HACCP and GMP training to all plant personnel
- Review microbiological results to ensure they meet customer specifications
- Review pest control records and ensure program is up to date and efficient
- Assist in maintaining proper documentation throughout the year for 3rd party audits and assist in audits
- Perform mock recalls to test traceability
- Maintain files (customer complaint, foreign materials incident report, belt inspections, pest control, GMP, HACCP, holds/releases, mock recalls, scale calibrations, QC specifications, sanitation audits, customer audits, microbiological results, and food safety audits)
- Maintain good personal hygiene, follow GMP’s and keep a clean, safe and sanitary work place. Immediately report any situation that may cause product to be contaminated.
- Display to the Guard your DFF-issued photo ID whenever entering the premises. Report the loss of this ID card to the supervisor. Do not give your ID card to any other individual. Immediately report to the supervisor any suspicious activity by employees or visitors.
- Any miscellaneous tasks as assigned by supervisor
Supervision of Others
- The position directly supervisor quality assurance technicians and micro lab technicians
Licenses, Permits, Certifications Required
- HACCP certification
- Food Science/Processing Certification
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Bachelor’s degree in Microbiology, Biology, Food Science or a related field
- Excellent verbal and written skills
- Computer (Microsoft Office and Magic)
- Safe and efficient use of 3M Pipettor, general office equipment, ATP Luminatior (Pio-luminescence device), Laboratory Scales (OHAUS)
- Ability to motivate team efforts to accomplish goals.
- Well organized and able to manage and prioritize multiple projects simultaneously.
- Knowledge of food industry regulations, understands and is compliant with GMP standards.
- Able to perform the essential duties and responsibilities with efficiency and accuracy.
- Able to travel to all areas of the plant efficiently, including climbing stairs.
- Must be able to work effectively and safely in a wet and hot/cold environment