Provides leadership, direction and management support to the Quality Assurance and Food Safety Manager at the plant level. Under the direction of the QA Manager, works with the QA Team and Plant Management to help assure that the facility operations are in compliance with government food safety regulations as well as Global Food Safety Initiative (GFSI), RFG and customer requirements. Delivers continuous improvement around Quality and Food Safety. Acts as a subject matter expert in Quality and Food Safety for the plant.
- Assists the QA Manager in managing and implementing the plant Quality Management System according to corporate directives and expectations. Collaborates with the plant management team to maintain, modify and improve the Quality System.
- Anticipates and responds to regulatory agency requirements and reports related to food safety.
- Makes collaborative food safety and quality decisions regarding ingredient, raw product, in-process product and finished product conformance as designated by the QA Manager.
- Assists with plant internal audit functions and activities in order to be audit-ready.
- Member of the facility Food Safety Team, develops Hazard Analyses, HACCP/Preventive Control plans, and assures compliance with HACCP, FSMA and all regulatory requirements.
- Manages sample retention and evaluation program.
- Publishes regular and ad hoc reports on key Quality and Food Safety metrics. Analyzes data for process improvement opportunities.
- Provides coverage for the Quality Manager and other QA positions as needed. Work schedule times and days may vary, including weekends.
- Facilitates investigation and corrective actions in response to customer and consumer product quality and food safety-related questions and complaints. Assists with related corrective action plans and implementation as necessary.
- Provides training to QA Supervisors and technicians, as well as other members of the plant team, under the direction of the QA Manager.
- Looks for opportunities to reduce system cost as appropriate.
- Assures that any issues are addressed and corrected in a timely manner.
- Other duties as assigned.
Quality Supervisors have dotted line reporting to this position. Other positions may be added over time.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Administration and Management — Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Chemistry — Knowledge of the chemical composition, structure, and properties of substances and of the chemical processes and transformations that they undergo. This includes uses of chemicals and their interactions, danger signs, production techniques, and disposal methods.
- Clerical — Knowledge of administrative and clerical procedures and systems such as word processing, managing files and records, stenography and transcription, designing forms, and other office procedures and terminology.
- English Language — Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Customer and Personal Service — Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Analytical or scientific software — Minitab ; Statgraphics; Systat Software Lisa.lims; Thermo Fisher Scientific Laboratory Information Management Systems LIMS
- Compliance software — EtQ Reliance; MasterControl software; Sparta Systems TrackWise
- Data base user interface and query software — Data entry software ; Harrington Group caWeb; Microsoft Access ; Structured query language SQL
- Industrial control software — ASI DATAMYTE GageMetrics; Infinity QS ProFicient; PQ Systems MEASUREspy; Vivaldi Software Vivaldi Quality Management
- Spreadsheet software — Microsoft Excel
- Reading Comprehension — Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Judgment and Decision Making — Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
- Quality Control Analysis — Conducting tests and inspections of products, services, or processes to evaluate quality or performance.
- Active listening — Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Monitoring — Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Problem Sensitivity — the ability to tell when something is wrong or is likely to go wrong. It does not involve solving the problem, only recognizing there is a problem.
- Oral Expression — the ability to communicate information and ideas in speaking so others will understand.
- Written Comprehension — the ability to read and understand information and ideas presented in writing.
- Oral Comprehension — the ability to listen to and understand information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences.
- Deductive Reasoning — the ability to apply general rules to specific problems to produce answers that make sense.
- Bachelors’ Degree in Food Technology, Food Science, Microbiology or other related field.
- Minimum of 3 years in Quality and Food Safety Management in a food manufacturing environment.
- USDA-inspected RTE operations experience strongly preferred.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to walk; sit and use hands to finger, handle, or feel. The employee is occasionally required to stand; reach with hands and arms and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Minimal time in cold working environment (approx.. 37F)
Food Safety & Food Security Responsibility
All persons within the company have responsibilities to ensure that threats to the safety and security of our final product are minimized. Responsibilities for this position include;
- Compliance with GH Foods’ Good Manufacturing Practices [GMPs]
- Understanding basic concepts of food borne illness.