Leprino Foods’ history dates to over 65 years ago, when the Leprino family first started making small batches of mozzarella for local markets and eateries in Denver. We’ve grown a bit since then. Today, we are the largest manufacturer of mozzarella and lactose in the world, and a leading producer of whey protein. Still owned by the Leprino family, we’ve set our sights to become the “World’s Best Dairy Food and Ingredient Company.” To help us achieve that ambitious vision, we’re looking for our secret ingredient: motivated individuals who are the absolute best at what they do. From three people in a small cheese shop in the early 1950s, we have grown to over 4,300 employees throughout our 16 global locations. Will you join us on our journey?
We are seeking a Purchasing Agent to help us continue our successful trend in the global cheese and nutrition markets through quality of product and food safety at our Tracy, California production facility.
The Purchasing Agent procures materials and supplies required to support the company’s manufacturing facility in an efficient and cost-effective manner. Items procured by this position include, but are not limited to, food ingredients, packaging, material handling, maintenance / services required throughout the manufacturing facility. This position provides the guidance and direction to all plant personnel in the proper and ethical purchasing practices that conform to the company and plant policies and procedures. The position also acts as a representative and liaison between individuals in the company and supplier contacts.
We Ask of You:
- Selects vendors for non-national maintenance parts, raw materials / supplies and non-stock items for formal competitive bidding.
- Provides timely issuance of Purchase Orders for all materials / supplies / services required by the plant (i.e., accurate item descriptions, purchase prices, freight codes and delivery dates).
- Orders goods in quantities that reduce unit pricing.
- Manages selection of supply sources for non-national items or services that meet Leprino Foods service and product quality expectations.
- Maintains current Insurance Certificates, Safety Certificates, and Confidentiality Agreements on the JDE CIF system for all plant vendors.
- Collaborates with corporate personnel to create annual product and freight standards on all non-lot controlled and non-national items.
- Negotiates payment terms on non-national items beneficial to Leprino Foods.
- Complies with National Agreement buy brackets and minimize freight costs.
- Minimize inbound freight costs for the items purchased through the effective use of Corporate Traffic or vendors freight rates and the proper use of truckload and LTL order quantities.
- Obtains timely written confirmation of all purchase orders (especially food ingredients) with the applicable suppliers.
- Monitors all Purchase Orders to make sure suppliers deliver products / services on a timely basis.
- Tracks performance of non-national vendors as to on-time delivery, PO / invoice price compliance, quality and service issues.
We Offer in Return:
- Competitive salaries with equally competitive performance bonuses!
- 401(k) along with a lucrative annual Profit-Sharing plan – we hire to retire!
- Tuition reimbursement, award recognitions, merit increases, and outstanding health/dental/vision benefits.
Physical/Mental Requirements and Work Environment:
- Works in both the plant production environment which requires walking, climbing, standing and in an office environment which requires standing and sitting. This position is expected to spend time out on the production floor observing operations and interacting with employees.
- May be required to occasionally independently move and handle objects up to 25 pounds.
You Have (Minimum Qualifications):
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Economics, or related field, or similar work experience
- 3+ years of purchasing / inventory management experience
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities/Competencies:
- In-depth working knowledge of general purchasing, inventory, and auditing
- Strong analytical detail orientation and written communication skills are needed
- Exceptional interpersonal skills
- Strong planning/time management skills and balancing of resources
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Exceptional interpersonal skills
- Working knowledge of food safety and sanitation practices
Leprino Foods Company utilizes the services of Psychemedics to perform our Hair Follicle Drug Testing. Additional information about this process can be obtained at www.psychemedics.com
Leprino Foods requires all individuals to wear the appropriate Personal Protection Equipment (PPE) as required by the role and location.