COMMENTS: The Project Engineer will work for Mizkan America, Inc. primarily at the Rancho Cucamonga production facility. This position reports to the Engineering Manager, Vinegar Business Unit. Travel is required to other Mizkan America plants. This job description reflects assignment of essential functions. It does not prescribe or restrict the tasks that may be assigned.
SUMMARY: The Project Engineer applies expertise and problem solving skills to deliver results in food processing, bottling, and packaging plants. The deliverables are a combination of large capital projects as well as plant needs driven by local teams. The Project Engineer leads all aspects of capital projects from scoping through commercialization. Success requires skills in communication with all levels of the organization, project management, root cause analysis, problem resolution, and continuous improvement. The ability to work with cross-functional teams cannot be underestimated. Awareness of Safety and Quality implications is required.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
· Executes assignments under guidance from Manager of Engineering with adherence to timelines and budgets
· Partners with corporate and plant management teams to ensure the development of detailed scopes of work, effective project generation and implementation upon approval
· Provides engineering expertise in the areas of raw material and product handling, processing, and packaging
· Conducts engineering studies as assigned on new and existing manufacturing processes, equipment, tooling and materials to optimize production efficiencies, minimize waste/scrap and ensure quality standards and safety requirements are met
· Recommends methods, materials, and layouts for improvements based on manufacturing needs and capabilities
· Develops detailed project submittals with accurate cost generation for project submission, ROI analysis and approval consideration
· Works with plant maintenance and contractors to generate costs to complete installation and startup of projects
· Performs problem solving studies for root cause analysis determination, develops recommendations and resolves manufacturing problems identified within plant operations
· Supervises and directs other project lead people where appropriate and controls outside contractors relative to plant policies and scope of work
· Tracks capital expenditures for adherence to approved project spending limits
· Interface with OSHA, EPA, BRC and other regulatory and 3rd party agencies as required
· Contributes to development, implementation and maintenance of the annual engineering budget and 5-year capital plans
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, AND QUALIFICATIONS:
· BS degree in Mechanical or Chemical Engineering
· Minimum of 5 years of engineering experience in a food processing/manufacturing environment. Experience with air permitting, 3-phase power, PLC and motor controls, compressed air, steam systems, and/or wastewater treatment systems is beneficial.
· Must be able to work with and manage consultants and contractors
· Commitment to safety, excellent work, high standards, and company values
· Ability to organize and manage multiple projects, priorities and meet deadlines
· Problem analysis and problem resolution at both a strategic and functional level
· Technical skills in engineering, project development, and costing
· Ability to work with all levels (plant personnel and corporate management)
· Good judgment capability with the ability to make timely and sound decisions
· Creative, flexible, and innovative team player
· Strong organizational, planning, and analytical skills
· Must be motivated and able to work independently with minimal supervision
· Versatility, flexibility, and a willingness to work enthusiastically with constantly changing priorities
· Effective level of interpersonal, communication, and presentation skills
· Ability to persuade and influence others to assist with and complete projects
· Proficiency with AutoCAD and MS Project is a plus. Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) is essential.
· Up to 50% travel depending on work load