The purpose of this position is to provide principled leadership and support for company growth and improvements, while supporting employees to ensure standard operating procedures, GMP s/SQF, quality and CI programs are understood and followed while supervising and leading the operations of all departments within the facility.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Supervise the day-to-day operations
- Provide appropriate direction as it relates to production (Safety, Quality, Manufacturing, Scheduling, Sanitation, etc.)
- Work with all other departments (QA, Laboratory, Shipping, Receiving, Scheduling, Maintenance, etc.) as a member of a cross-functional team to resolve product, production, or regulatory issues
- Participate in training employees in production and throughout the facility
- Assist with the introduction of new products into the facility
- Dedicate effort to safety as we expect every employee to leave work in the same condition as they arrive
- Follow all DFA good manufacturing practices (GMP) and work in a manner consistent with all corporate regulatory, food safety, quality, and sanitation requirements
- Exhibit the values and ethics of Dairy Farmers of America through honesty, discretion, and sound judgment
- Adhere to all DFA Quality, Safety and GMP policies and procedures and report any nonconformity
- Attend required training, including but not limited to, Safety, GMP, Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point (HACCP), and Safe Quality Foods (SQF)
- The requirements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by employee, but is not a complete list of responsibilities, duties, and skills required. Other duties may be assigned.
- Monitor the production schedule at the plant level by communicating schedule changes to plant scheduler and production employees.
- Monitor employee work schedules. Post, approve, and schedule employee vacations while maintaining the production capabilities of the plant.
- Manages hourly production employee performance, on both an individual and a team basis. Sets and tracks performance to targets, budgets and operating plans.
- Drive continuous improvement programs such as 5S, Kaizen, Poke Yoke and Idea Funnel. Eliminate or reduce the 6 deadly wastes
- Responsible for documentation and record keeping of employee attendance occurrences, policy violations, performance related conversations, etc.
- Acting as a technical resource to address and resolve inquiries and problems regarding production, quality and work problems as appropriate.
- Ensuring the completion of all required production paperwork including, records, inventory, inspection, sanitation reports, processing/CIP charts.
- Monitor manufacturing direct cost, quality, safety, and sanitation control.
- Complies with all Federal, State, and Local regulatory requirements and procedures. (FDA, USDA, and EPA included.)
- Maintain/implement SOP s, Safety Programs, Safety Training, Performance Recognition, and OSHA compliance.
- Being actively involved in safety efforts including, attending safety meetings, incident investigations, assisting in root cause analysis, auditing, as assigned.
- QMS, HAACP team member & Food Safety team member.
- Acts as a key member of the Plant Leadership Team. Participates in plant leadership meetings and provides leadership in the area of Plant Safety. Ensures effective execution of plant safety programs and policies. Actively assesses plant compliance and execution regarding safety programs, including:o Support the Environmental, Health and Safety (EHS) Committee Standard to promote consistency and clarity for the plant in establishing and maintaining an EHS Committee by ensuring monthly meetings are scheduled and held, reviewing the EHS Dashboard with the EHS Committee at each meeting, act as EHS Committee Chairperson or designate a chairperson, ensure meeting minutes are maintained and posted and maintain the EHS Committee Log and ensure all items are completed or addressed.
o Manages audio metric testing and hearing conservation programs inclusive of noise surveys.o Manages the plant personal protective equipment, work clothing and safety equipment programs according to company standards and operating budget. Manages the respiratory protection program, including quantitative fit testing, respirator distribution, and pulmonary function testing
o Develops and implements effective plant programs for the identification, prevention and control of occupational injuries. Develops, coordinates and administers plant health and safety education and training programs.o Maintains current awareness of applicable federal, state, and local health, industrial hygiene, and safety regulations. Maintains legal, governmental and company environmental permitting/reporting, health, medical and safety-related records according to standards, including confidentiality. Maintains an accurate OSHA 200/300 log. Accompanies visiting inspectors and reports findings.
o Administers the plant hazard communication program, including maintaining up to date SDS, effective identification of all chemicals, chemical inventory and related training and education programs including: Respiratory Protection, Hearing Conservation, Hazard Communication, PPE, Hot Work, Confined Space, Lockout/Tagout, Emergency Response, etc.
o Reviews all manufacturing and support operations to assure ongoing safety. Assists the line organization in developing job safety analyses (JSA s) and safe operating procedures for all tasks and in investigating incidents. Develops and implements audit programs to review and assure compliance with applicable health and safety standards.
o Reviews and manages site Safety Audit and Observations Programs with emphasis on promoting heightened levels of Safety awareness.
o Assists plant management in investigating workplace incidents, determine root cause, and develop corrective actions. Maintains the site incident logs.
- Teamwork and Collaboration: Acts as a key member of the Plant Leadership Team. Actively engages in plant leadership meetings and provides timely feedback to Plant Leadership Team regarding regulatory and safety topics. May provide and/or receive input from across functional boundaries. Understands organizational mesh points and potential synergies. Integrates team efforts across business segments and channels. Interacts with Dairy Farmers of America s (DFA s) Safety Managers/Directors and utilizes Dairy Farmers of America s (DFA s) Safety Program resources. Understands available resources, both in the Plant and outside of the Plant and utilizes those resources when appropriate.
- Leadership: Acts with integrity. Treats others with dignity and respect. Models behavior that is consistent with Dairy Farmers of America s (DFA s) core values. Delivers on commitments and deadlines and holds others accountable for the same. Provides functional leadership to all plant locations. Acts as a responsible advocate for regulatory requirements and Employee Safety. Understands the importance of compliance and reports all observations of non-compliance.
- Communication: Effectively communicates with all levels of the organization. Demonstrates excellent presentation, oral, and written communication skills, including facilitating and giving presentations. Communicates effectively and professionally to both internal and external parties using appropriate methods and technology. Executes outstanding customer communication and relationship building techniques.
- Demonstrated Business Acumen: Understands cause and effect relationships with regard to variables that impact the business viability of the organization.