Under the direction of the Production/Operations Manager, oversee, develop and manage the production workforce to maintain productive application of resources including personnel, equipment, and facilities to achieve production goals, quality and cost objectives under a safe environment. In coordination with the Demand Planner, prioritize production schedules based on labor availability, equipment efficiency, product and materials supply to meet order fill requirements. Hire, develop, and evaluate personnel to ensure the efficient operation of production. Establish and promote production activities and processes in compliance with the company’s premium product standards. Develop good employee relations following the company compass. Ensure employees are adhering to State and Federal Wage and Hour laws and the Union contract.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS (other duties may be assigned as needed):
- Responsible for the direct supervision of production line staff. Communicates job tasks, key operating indicators and safety expectations. Ensures that direct reports follow company policy and procedures by coaching, counseling, and disciplining when necessary.
- Responsible for managing daily schedule of employees to include start time, breaks and lunches, and end time while adhering to Wage and Hour laws.
- Maintains work flow by monitoring steps in the process, observing control points, checking equipment and monitoring personnel and other resources. Effectively drives continuous improvement changes.
- On a daily basis, review Production Scheduler’s plan and make necessary adjustments in order to achieve greater efficiencies in the order fill requirements. Communicate changes to Production Scheduler and management personnel. Measure results against key operating indicators.
- Establish priorities and monitor production flow on an hourly basis. Identify issues and analyze root cause and take corrective action.
- On a daily basis, run KOI report and Recap report and communicate findings to production management.
- Ensures operation of equipment by calling for repairs. Safeguards operations by measuring down time and enforcing Food Safety practices by following Sanitation requirement before re-starting operations after repairs or line incidents have taken place.
- Provides manufacturing information to management by compiling and analyzing production performance records and data. Will answer questions and respond to requests for additional information when requested.
- Maintains safe and clean work environment by training and directing personnel on the use of all control points, equipment, personal protection equipment and resources.
- Maintains working relations with the union by following the terms of the collective bargaining agreement and keeping Human Resources Department involved in all employee related issues.
- Maintains effective and proper communication with employees, manufacturing leadership and personnel in all support departments.
- Ensures information flows effectively and efficiently to each Production Supervisor on the team; ensure smooth transition from one shift to another by relaying up-to-date information to incoming supervisor.
- Inspects products to verify conformance to specifications and directs machine operators and crew leads to setup and adjust the machines accordingly.
- Responsible for documenting metrics in assigned area. Analyze metrics and make recommendation for improved efficiencies to management personnel.
- Maintains quality service by establishing and enforcing organization standards.
- Adheres to regulatory requirements and Good Manufacturing practices (OSHA, HAACP, Food Safety, etc.).
- Develops and maintains production metrics for quality, performance, yields, shrink and safety, including regular progress reports.
- Ensure all resources and assets are used efficiently and correctly.
- Evaluate the manufacturing process to ensure maximum efficiency.
- Continually analyze, identify and set expectations to motivate employees to achieve objectives and goals through providing feedback and recognition.
- Ensures that all workers are properly trained, and responsibilities are defined and understood.
- Responsible for abiding, enforcing and implementing all safety protocols, for investigating all incidents and determine root causes analysis in documented reports used for trending and improving safety.
- During daily production meeting present incident findings, root cause and corrective action towards safety prevention and reduction of specific types of injuries.
- Responsible to execute employee safety rotational program to avoid repetitive motion injuries.
- Responsible for employee mentoring program to promote a positive on-boarding experience and on-the-job-training for our new hires in their integration to our organicgirl family culture.
- Responsible for spending 80% of work time in the production floor overseeing plant operations & will work in conjunction with the Production/Operations Manager to provide guidance, instruction, direction and leadership to the production/processing employees.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
Individuals must possess these knowledge, skills, and abilities or be able to explain and demonstrate that the individual can perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation, using some other combination of skills and abilities.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Direct supervision of all production floor personnel including Crew Leaders, PMO’s, Clerks, Heavy Laborers and General Laborers including the responsibility for giving overall direction, coordination, and performance evaluation.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field and a minimum of 1 year experience working in a Food Manufacturing environment or equivalent combination of college coursework and work experience.
- Must have a minimum of 2 years’ experience as a supervisor.
- Knowledge of food safety, good manufacturing practices, general plant safety practices and procedures are required.
- Computer literacy in Microsoft Suite programs (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and working knowledge of ERP systems preferable Navision.
- Literate in English and Spanish; oral and written.
- Excellent communication skills; ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients, and other employees of the organization.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
- Able to write routine reports; correspond with personnel within and across departments via email.
- Strong interpersonal, and communication skills, with the ability to clearly provide work direction, communicate with support staff and present recommendations and ideas and to build consensus.
- Calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume.
- Apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS:
Valid Driver’s License
First Aid Certificate/CPR Training (Company will Train)
- Solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
- Organization skills and willingness to assume accountability for plant practices required.
- Results driven leadership, with the ability to work under pressure in a fast-paced, time-sensitive. environment with shifting priorities and multiple deadlines.
- Ability to build, coach and motivate personnel, while holding employees accountable for result.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Basic mechanical aptitude required. Position requires hands-on capability to operate all machinery and equipment. Training will be provided.
- Ability to demonstrate leadership skills such as planning, organizing, staffing, leading, controlling & communicating.
- Continuous improvement oriented.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the essential duties of the job, the employee is frequently required to stand, walk, sit and use hands to finger, handle or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee is occasionally required to climb or balance. The employee must occasionally lift or move objects of up to 25 pounds. Close, distance, color, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus are required.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, moving mechanical parts, outside weather conditions, and 36 degree cold room temperatures. The employee is occasionally exposed to high, precarious places; fumes or airborne particles, and vibration. The employee may be required to work extended hours without notice. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to loud.
Applicants have rights under Federal Employment Laws:
Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) English https://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/compliance/posters/fmlaen.pdf
Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) Spanish https://www.dol.gov/sites/dolgov/files/WHD/legacy/files/fmlasp.pdf
Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/ofccpost.htm
Employee Polygraph Protection Act (EPPA) English https://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/compliance/posters/eppac.pdf
Employee Polygraph Protection Act (EPPA) Spanish https://www.dol.gov/sites/dolgov/files/WHD/legacy/files/eppaspan.pdf
Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act (USERRA) https://www.dol.gov/sites/dolgov/files/VETS/legacy/files/USERRA_Private.pdf
This is a management position
This is a full-time position