$80,000 to $90,000 per year depending on experience
Monday to Thursday 12am to 9am, Friday 11pm to 9am
Dynamic enterprise that has become the market leader in a number of prepared meat-based meal and snack categories. The company has grown substantially across its markets through excellence in innovation, manufacturing, and customer service. This success has been nurtured by its ownership group and an expanding team of world-class executives. HMF is building on this track record through complementary acquisitions and a growing number of business development initiatives. HMF’s business model is poised to continue to thrive and offer greater opportunities for its customers and team.
We are based in Norwood, Massachusetts, which is comfortably within the Boston metropolitan area. Facility includes a state-of-the-art plant, and R&D facility, as well as warehouse and Corporate functions. We are focused on continued growth and are executing against various initiatives that include additional product lines, new sales channels, greater penetration of our extensive customer relationships, as well as opportunistic acquisitions. Our success is directly dependent on attracting and retaining the best possible talent across our functions. To this end, we are posting for a strong Production Manager.
Overview of the Production Manager Role
Responsible for ensuring the production of high-quality products at a production rate that meets or exceeds current levels by maintaining high quality standards, low reject rate for product produced and low materials waste. Communicates and implements Company guidelines, procedures and policies in their areas. This manager is responsible to create and maintain a safe and fair work environment for all production team members. They are a role model for professional leadership behaviors, treating everyone with respect. They work collaboratively with others to drive the best results. The hours for the role are Monday through Thursday 12am-9am and Friday 11pm-9am.
Responsibilities of the Production Manager
- Manage day-to-day operation including workflow, adherence to plan, management of work in process, job assignments rotations and delegation of duties to ensure safe and efficient operation.
- Ensure effective use of labor, tools, supplies, and equipment to maximize efficiency and capacity.
- Manage staffing needs.
- Mentor and motivate team members, providing training and development to optimize their performance and personal growth.
- Minimize downtime, scrap and improve product yield.
- Ensure every pound produced is the highest quality possible.
- Accountable for team’s adherence to manufacturing protocols, product specifications, quality guidelines and food safety standards.
- Ensure all operational records and KPI’s are complete and accurate.
- Accept responsibility to quickly identify any areas that lack cohesiveness, bringing them to the attention of the team leader and working with the team in a supportive manner to resolve issues and actively look for ways, and reinforce actions needed, to achieve collaboration within the organization.
- • Support positive employee engagement including valuing differences, fostering collaboration, listening to the ideas of every team member, and being a champion of company policies and procedures which support these goals. Treat everyone with respect and be a role model for professional behavior with all team members.
- Communicate performance standards to team members, recognizing and rewarding individual and team accomplishments and counseling/disciplining performance problems.
- Work cross-functionally with maintenance and engineering to optimize equipment performance.
- Write work orders for equipment/plant repairs.
- Communicate production issues with regard to equipment performance, product quality, food safety and personnel safety in a timely manner.
- Serve as a role model and initiate proactive actions to ensure team’s understanding of and compliance with all company policies and regulatory, SQF and customer requirements including USDA, OSHA, DEP etc.
- Monitor team member compliance with GMP, food safety standards, HACCP, CCPs and CQPs.
- Performs investigations and completes a preliminary written report within 12 hours of an incident. Submits this to report to the EHS department for follow up and final reporting (e.g. accidents, employee complaints, root cause analysis to product and process non-conformities etc.)
- Foster a culture of excellence with a focus on continuous improvement.
- Perform other duties as necessary in support of business objectives.
- This position description is intended to guide the activities of the person in this position and is not intended to limit the thinking and creativity of the person as to the work of this function nor is it intended that this describe all the work that may be required of the person in this position.
- In his/her absence, another Production Manager will perform his/her responsibilities.
Qualifications of the Production Manager
- Requires an Associate’s Degree in Business Management or equivalent field, Bachelor’s preferred.
- 4+ years of experience in a leadership capacity within food manufacturing with shift or area ownership required.
- Any equivalent combination of related education and/or experience may be considered for the above.
- Effective communication skills (interpersonal, written and verbal) Ability to read and write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak, coach, and persuade team member.
- Must be fluent in English. Bilingual English/Spanish or English/Portuguese is preferred
- Must have intermediate computer skills including Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Willingness to lead, take charge, and offer opinions and direction required.
- Must be able to manage time and priorities effectively and efficiently.
- Able to delegate to and empower others.
- Has strong organizational skills with deep problem-solving ability
- Understands the linkage between operational performance and financial impact.
- Able to calculate figures and amounts such as proportions, percentages, yields, efficiency, etc.