This position works under minimal supervision and is primarily responsible for the understanding and development of basic to complex colors for specific applications and scaling up in any production facility with the purpose of advancing the growth of NCD. The successful applicant will have a strong background in chemistry, preferably colloidal chemistry or material sciences. Experience with analytical chemistry is a plus.
Principal Duties And Responsibilities
- Handles simple to complex color formulation projects in a timely manner. Interacts with external customers, applications scientists and other departments internally as needed in defining specific parameters for projects.
- Serves as local expert on colloidal science and uses physical chemistry to screen ingredients and develop colloidal color formulations.
- Scales up from bench to any global production facility.
- Conducts in-person consultation with customers from conception through commercialization in their facilities.
- Maintains safe working environment by practicing and coaching in established safety procedures.
- Learns and uses processing equipment in lab and pilot with minimal supervision.
- Provides training for QC and production personnel in new formulations and analytical methods.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- M.Sc. or Ph.D. in Chemistry, Polymer Science or related field with 5+ years of relevant experience.
- Deep knowledge of colloidal principles and physical chemistry applied to common food ingredients (polymers, surfactants, starches, proteins etc)
- Deep knowledge of analytical techniques and strong chemical background
- General understanding of food ingredients and processing. Experience with color is an advantage
- Ability to read, collect data, analyze, and interpret technical information, as well as write and present reports and technical papers.
- Ability to distinguish colors in a wide variety of applications and media. Must have excellent color vision. (Color Vision Testing Required.)
Working environment is generally favorable. Lighting, temperature and noise levels are adequate with occasional exposure to cold temperatures. Personal Protective Equipment is required when working in the laboratory. This includes a lab coat, and if necessary, safety glasses, dust mask or gloves. When working in the production plant, a hair/beard net, safety glasses and safety shoes are required and GLP/GMP guidelines must be followed.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand, walk, talk and hear. The employee is regularly required to lift and/or move materials or equipment up to 25 lbs. and occasionally required to lift up to 50 lbs. Use of hands to handle or touch objects, tools or controls is frequently required. Specific vision abilities required by this job include vision, color vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus. Employee is occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts, fumes or airborne particles and toxic or caustic chemicals.