Working as part of the Product Development team, the Product Development Pilot Plant Technician will work closely with PD Gummy Formulators and PD Formulators. The PD Pilot Plant Technician will be responsible for setting-up, tearing down, cleaning, and maintaining all equipment and instruments used in the Pilot Plant. This position will also be responsible for ordering and maintaining required inventories.
In this role you will:
- Ensure Pilot Equipment is maintained and kept in working condition
- Maintain Pilot Plant raw material, packaging, and equipment inventory ensuring materials are available as needed
- Assist with developing SOPs, batch records, certificates of analysis, and other required documentation
- Perform in-process checks including pH, brix/solids, moisture content, and prepare samples to be tested by outside labs
- Prepare pilot scale batches
- Assist preparing samples and conducting sensory evaluations
- Communicate critical control parameters for each process step
- Responsible for Pilot Plant cleanliness, organizing raw materials, and maintaining instruments used for testing (pH Meters, Refractometers, Balances, Bench Top Mixers, Hot Plates, Beakers, Graduated Cylinders, etc)
- Work with PD Team to schedule Pilot trials based on priority and like for like formulations (i.e., hypoallergenic, vegan, similar base ingredients)
- Ensure Pilot Plant is well equipped with cleaning and testing instrument supplies
- Develop and maintain 5S Program for all ancillary tools needed to run the Pilot Equipment
- Work closely with facilities maintenance communicating any issues that arise while using pilot equipment
- Other Duties as assigned
- Minimum 5 years’ experience working in manufacturing preferably food, dietary supplement, or pharmaceutical; setting-up, tearing down, cleaning, and maintaining all equipment and instruments used in a Pilot Plant
- Must be able to read and interpret documents such as standard operating procedures, and regulations
- Must be able to work cross functionally with many different departments and various skill levels
- Knowledge of Food & Supplement regulations (including DSHEA, FD&C Act Section 21 CFR 111) is preferred
- Ability to deal with complex problems with many variables
- Basic skills in math, including algebra are required
- Meticulous attention to detail.
- Ability to produce high quality work with limited supervision.
- Must possess knowledge pertaining to the nutraceutical industry and must be well versed in a variety of ingredients, their usage, forms, activities and all other relevant characteristics.
- Must be proficient with MS Office and have advanced Excel skills.
- This position will be expected to come to HQ in Watsonville, CA on a regular basis. Must be flexible to relocation, if needed.
Nordic Naturals is an equal opportunity employer. A pre-employment drug screening and background check are conditions of employment.
At Nordic Naturals, we’re committed to delivering the world’s safest, most effective nutrients essential to health. Our award-winning omega-3 fish oil and other foundational nutrients are research supported, expertly formulated, rigorously tested, proven effective and, best of all, great tasting. With products for the whole family, we deliver the nutrients essential for healthy living.
Nordic Naturals has been revolutionizing omega-3s since 1995, pioneering a new definition of fish oil as it relates to purity, freshness, taste, and dosage. Headquartered in Watsonville, CA, the company has expanded beyond solely omega-3s and offers complementary, foundational nutrients essential to health. Our portfolio, which is distributed to over 35 countries, includes more than 200 products in a variety of flavors and formulations for adults, kids, athletes, and pets. Family owned, Nordic Naturals works passionately to see generations of healthier, happier people around the world.
Nordic Naturals offers a great work environment, support for a healthy lifestyle, and an opportunity to be part of a company that’s making a positive difference. We are committed to the shared goal of promoting health and wellness by delivering the world’s safest, most effective omega oils. We see a growing worldwide market and need a great team of people to enable our company to continue to fulfill its mission.