US-MN-St. JamesYour Opportunity
Directs maintenance crews in the installation, repair and preventive maintenance of equipment used throughout the plant, facilities, utilities and powerhouse equipment. Oversees maintenance of processes in order to reduce mechanical downtime and keep product flows and production lines running at maximum efficiency.
This is a 2nd shift position.
- Leads teams of Maintenance Mechanics & Electricians in predictive & preventative maintenance and machine repair.
- Responsible for the development, implementation and day to day supervision of maintenance systems, processes and documentation associated with efficient and High Performing Manufacturing Organizations (Prevention and Predictive Maintenance, TPM, SOP#39;s, Safety, etc.).
- Ensures maintenance is scheduled in a timely manner and works closely with Production to schedule and accomplish equipment and facility repairs.
- Develops and/or maintains Key Performance Indicators for tracking and reporting the performance of the maintenance function (supplier performance, 3rd party contractor performance, equipment reliability, overall equipment effectiveness, etc.)
- Provides long term solutions and day-to-day support to all operating teams having issues with troubleshooting, problem analysis, equipment failures, etc.
- Trains employees on proper work methods and safety procedures.
- Ensures tasks are completed in accordance with USDA regulations.
- Maintains accurate records of maintenance work performed and inventory.
- Provides regular status reports to maintenance management team.
- In the absence of key personnel the employee#39;s supervisor or qualified designee (one that has been trained in the key employee#39;s duties) is responsible to complete or delegate the completion of all required tasks and responsibilities.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. May perform other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential functions.
- High School diploma or GED and 2+ years of maintenance or process/project engineering experience; required.
- Bachelor#39;s Degree in Engineering and previous leadership experience, preferred.
- Advanced technical skills in ammonia refrigeration, high pressure boiler, compressed air, mechanical and electrical fields (e.g. PLCs, instrumentation, mechanical engineering, etc.) and is able to lead resource planning efforts in a large manufacturing environment, preferred.
- Thorough knowledge of maintenance systems, work order processes, preventive/predictive maintenance, TPM, inventory and scheduling software, preferred.
- Strong leadership skills (conflict resolution, facilitation, change management skills, decision making, empowerment and delegation), preferred.
- Able to lead problem solving and troubleshooting efforts associated with high-level process issues.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Proficient with MS Word, Excel, and Outlook.
- Good planning and priority setting skills.
- Ability to work well with others in fast paced, dynamic environment.
- Ability to be respectful, approachable and team oriented while building strong working relationships and a positive work environment.
- Bilingual, preferred.
- May be required to work long hours and weekends.
- Provides leadership and guidance to employees in the Maintenance Department.
- Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization#39;s policies and applicable laws.
- Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and assisting in providing appropriate resolutions.
Work Environment & Physical Demands
The work environment characteristics & physical demands described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Office and plant setting. The plant environment will include wet or humid conditions (non-weather related), extreme cold and heat (non-weather related), working near moving mechanical parts, exposure to fumes or airborne particles, and chemicals.
- Noise level in the work environment is usually moderate but can be loud when in the production area.
- Occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds
- Specific vision includes close vision, distance vision, and ability to adjust focus.
- Frequently required to stand; walk; use hands to handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl and talk or hear.
Careers and Benefits
To learn more about Smithfield#39;s benefits, visit smithfieldfoods.com/careerbenefits
About Smithfield Foods
Headquartered in Smithfield, Va. since 1936, Smithfield Foods, Inc. is an American food company with agricultural roots and a global reach. Our 40,000 U.S. and 15,000 European employees are dedicated to producing \"Good food. Responsibly.®\" and have made us one of the world#39;s leading vertically integrated protein companies. We have pioneered sustainability standards for more than two decades, including many industry firsts, such as our ambitious commitment to cut our carbon impact by 25 percent by 2025. We believe in the power of protein to end food insecurity and have donated hundreds of millions of food servings to our neighbors in need. Smithfield boasts a portfolio of high-quality iconic brands, such as Smithfield®, Eckrich® and Nathan#39;s Famous®, among many others. For more information, visit www.smithfieldfoods.com, and connect with us on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and Instagram.
Smithfield is an equal opportunity employer committed to workplace diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, gender identity, protected veterans status, status as a disabled individual or any other protected group status or non-job characteristic as directed by law.