This role will support the plants in reporting, departmental spending analysis, month-end close activities, bill of material maintenance and yield reporting. It may supervise Plant Accounting Coordinators to ensure all the daily yield, inventory and labor reports for management are completed on time and accurately. Reviews the reports created by the Coordinators before distribution to management. Creates the Bill of Materials (BOM) which identifies the cost associated with any new products or changes to products that are produced at the plant.
- Compiles data from various sources (SAP, ADC, manual sheets from Supervisors, etc.) to prepare various daily reports in Excel including Yield Reports, Daily Pack Report, OPS Report, and Labor Report requiring data entry, data manipulation, and simple formulas in Excel.
- Perform month-end activities, which include, but are not limited to journal entries, plant variance and account reconciliations.
- Assist in timely measurement and explanation of plant variances and operating costs on a weekly and monthly basis.
- Responsible for ensuring that Corporate policy is adhered to, specifically regarding Bill of Material audtis and Fixed Asset reviews.
- Provides back up and support to other Accounting staff in the areas of yield reporting, finished goods inventory, payroll and other areas as assigned.
- Will spend up to 20% of time on the production floor to understand processes and procedures.
Reporting and Packaging
- Using reports from the Purchasing department and SAP, coordinates and prepares weekly and monthly packaging, ingredients and MRO cycle counts and investigates and resolves differences with the Purchasing department.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. May perform other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor#39;s degree from a regionally accredited four-year college or university in Accounting or related field and 2+ years#39; of professional accounting experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Experience acting as a lead by providing training, guidance or mentoring to less experienced staff or managing processes and projects, preferred.
- Solid understanding of accounting principles.
- Proven ability to use Excel on a daily basis including manipulation of large amounts of data and creation of simple formulas.
- SAP experience (preferred).
- Strong attention to detail.
- Desire and ability to fully research issues and solve problems.
- SAP experience (preferred).
- May be required to travel to assist at other plant locations.
- Ability to work well with others in fast paced, dynamic environment.
- Ability to be respectful, approachable and team oriented while building strong working relationships and a positive work environment.
- Provides leadership and guidance to employees in the accounting department.
- Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization#39;s policies and applicable laws.
- Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees addressing complaints and resolving problems.
Work Environment & Physical Demands
The work environment characteristics and physical demands described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The majority of the time is spent in an office setting outside of the production plant. The plant environment will include wet or humid conditions (non-weather related), extreme cold and heat (non-weather related), working near moving mechanical parts, exposure to fumes or airborne particles, and chemicals.
- Noise level in the work environment is usually moderate but can be loud when in the production area.
- Occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
- Specific vision includes close vision and ability to adjust focus.
- Frequently required to sit, use hands to handle, or feel, and talk or hear.
Careers and Benefits
To learn more about Smithfield#39;s benefits, visit smithfieldfoods.com/careerbenefits.
About Smithfield Foods
Headquartered in Smithfield, Va. since 1936, Smithfield Foods, Inc. is an American food company with agricultural roots and a global reach. Our 40,000 U.S. and 15,000 European employees are dedicated to producing \"Good food. Responsibly.®\" and have made us one of the world#39;s leading vertically integrated protein companies. We have pioneered sustainability standards for more than two decades, including many industry firsts, such as our ambitious commitment to cut our carbon impact by 25 percent by 2025. We believe in the power of protein to end food insecurity and have donated hundreds of millions of food servings to our neighbors in need. Smithfield boasts a portfolio of high-quality iconic brands, such as Smithfield®, Eckrich® and Nathan#39;s Famous®, among many others. For more information, visit www.smithfieldfoods.com, and connect with us on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and Instagram.
Smithfield is an equal opportunity employer committed to workplace diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, gender identity, protected veterans status, status as a disabled individual or any other protected group status or non-job characteristic as directed by law.