Overview & Responsibilities
Within General Mills, our manufacturing facilities are committed to achieving zero human and food safety incidents and it is every employee#39;s responsibility to fully support this vision. Packer Mechanics are hired as members of our manufacturing team. They are responsible for the preventative and reactive maintenance of packaging equipment within the manufacturing facility.
The General Mills-Cereal plant operates 24 hours per day 7 days per week. Changes in volume and production requirements can result in changes in work schedule and additional overtime. Candidates must be willing to work any shift, including nights and weekends.
The starting wage for a Packer Mechanic position is $29.30, and increases to $31.65 after the first 6 months of hire. The position also undergoes periodic contractual rate increases. General Mills also offers shift differential payment for those working off-shift.
Why work for General Mills?
- Health, Dental, and Life insurance (and more!)
- Generous paid vacation
- Safety oriented culture
- 401(k) with company match
In this role, you will:
- Follow all company safety policies and procedures to ensure a safe working environment
- Install, maintain, repair, and replace industrial packaging machinery, work tools and equipment
- Provide technical support and plant leadership for equipment troubleshooting and equipment modifications
- Perform both uptime and down time preventative maintenance in adherence to the master PM schedule
- Perform corrective maintenance work orders
- Have the ability to learn and perform minor machining and welding tasks
- Participate in Continuous Improvement initiatives in order to increase platform performance
- Assist with training new employees as needed
- Attend meetings and trainings as required
- Perform additional related tasks as assigned
- Must be 18 years of age or older
- Must have the ongoing right to work in the U.S. without sponsorship
- High School Diploma or GED
- 5 years experience in industrial maintenance which should include machine repair, troubleshooting, sheet metal fabrication, and welding experience
- Proficiency in basic computer skills
- Must be able to lift 50 lbs
- Must be able to perform physical tasks for extended periods of time including: standing, walking, climbing, bending, pushing, pulling and twisting over surfaces
- Willing and able to work any shift schedule, including nights and weekends
- Willing and able to adhere to all safety standards and wear all necessary personal protective equipment
- Willing and able to adhere to all grooming requirements necessary for a food manufacturing environment
- Technical degree in industrial maintenance or related field
- Continuing education in maintenance/technical skills
- Demonstrated leadership ability