Home Market Foods is a dynamic food manufacturing company that is the market leader in a number of meat-based meal and snack categories. We have grown substantially across our markets through excellence in innovation, operations, and customer service. This success has been nurtured by our ownership group and an expanding team of world-class leaders. HMF is building on our track record through complementary acquisitions and a growing number of business development initiatives. HMF's business model is poised to continue to thrive and offer greater opportunities for our customers and team.
With corporate headquarters in Needham, MA and a manufacturing facility in Norwood, MA, we are comfortably located within the Boston metropolitan area.
We are growing at a rapid rate, and our success is directly dependent on attracting and retaining the best possible talent across our functions. To this end, we are posting for a strong Packaging Engineer. This role will be based in our Norwood, MA manufacturing facility.
OVERVIEW OF ROLE
Home Market Foods is looking for a senior level Packaging Engineer, reporting to the Associate Director, Meal Solutions, but supporting all primary and secondary packaging initiatives across the entire business. The Packaging Engineer is responsible for developing and implementing an overall packaging management strategy at Home Market Foods. This includes initial product development, procurement cost savings initiatives, and supply chain optimization. This individual needs to be willing to create new processes from scratch, has an ability to influence others, and drives for results. This person will find themselves integrated into the activity management process with cross functional engagement with supply chain, production, and procurement. This individual must be able to work with autonomy and be able to identify opportunities and implement countermeasures to capture cost savings. This role will help drive CPG food packaging initiatives and identify the way packaging can be leveraged to drive incremental sales. We are looking for an individual that is interested in taking on a large challenge and building a packaging optimization program to create overall value to the business.
- Oversees and manages complete packaging development process, including the creation of packaging structure designs, prototype development, and performance testing.
- Collaborates directly with Production Managers and floor employees to drive Continuous Improvement projects.
- Creates detailed packaging specifications and packaging BOM (bill of materials).
- Works with the manufacturing department to ensure that the packaging designs are optimized for manufacturability.
- Participates on cross-functional teams, to deliver packaging for new/revised products to market including providing training to floor personnel on new equipment and new materials.
- Identifies and implements cost saving initiatives related to packaging materials, labor, efficiency, transportation, and storage.
- Specifies and recommends efficiency tools and test methods to develop and validate packaging designs.
- Partners closely with packaging vendors in ensuring specifications and timelines are met
- Brings forth innovative packaging solutions for new and current products, as well as explore new vendor partnership
- Troubleshoots new and existing packaging problems involving designs, materials and processes and provide creative, timely, and cost-effective solutions.
- Analyzes engineering drawings and specifications of product to determine physical characteristics of item, special handling, environmental and safety requirements, and types of materials required for packaging.
- Must be able to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Bachelors in packaging engineering or related field
- 5+ years consumer packaged goods experience, ideally in a food manufacturing environment
- Strong experience managing projects and/or leading a team in a cross-functional environment
- Solid communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to prioritize projects and produce high quality and quantity output that adds value to the company
- Our production floor consists of cold/hot/moisture rich environments (temperatures varying from 28-40F, cook operations -100F, Freezers -10 to more than 110F during Sanitation procedures
- You must be able to stand for prolonged periods of time
- You must be comfortable working near our industrial Microwave process
- You must be comfortable wearing PPE (personal protective equipment) consisting of hard had, safety glasses, mask, hearing protection, etc.
- Please visit https://homemarketfoods.applicantpro.com/jobs/ to complete our online application form.