Position Summary: Responsible for developing packaging specifications for new and existing products. This position requires technical competence in packaging development as well as leadership skills to take ownership of projects and problems to get them resolved. This position will work with Marketing, Research & Development, Purchasing, and Production, in the company, and requires self-direction and the ability to handle multiple priorities effectively.
Develops and specifies packaging equipment and processes including appropriate capital scope that deliver desired food packaging attributes. Provides packaging systems and equipment technology expertise to the Company. Exhibits innovation in discovery, advancement, and evaluation of new technologies which can have significant impact on new or improved packaging designs, packaging systems, or capital/cost avoidance.
Solid understanding of packaging processes/equipment and creativity/creative approach to assess technology/materials/equipment and problem solve. Ensure that SOPAKCO invests in the best available, new business opportunities. This position is recognized as an expert in food packaging engineering and technology and associated equipment. This position has a significant impact on SOPAKCO as a technical expert and provides high impact support to our project team.
- Manage all packaging design aspects of new product development across all production facilities working in conjunction with Marketing, Operations, and Quality Assurance, Purchasing, and company suppliers.
- Lead the technical development of new product packaging during the prototype design layout stage.
- Provide technical expertise to assure all company packaging is best in class with regards to new technologies and structures, respective of current machinery, and the functionality of the individual finished goods.
- Identify opportunities working with Suppliers, Operations, Marketing and Purchasing and develop a prioritized project list with input from Marketing, Operations, Product Development and Purchasing to assist in managing supplier expectations.
- Product specification writing to lead the effort to have all raw materials packaging product specification written using a common template, develop template for specification using industry standards.
- Provide problem resolution and operational support and provide technical expertise for operational issues regarding packaging.
- Work directly with Operations and suppliers to identify the root cause of continuing problems and develop long term solutions for respective problems.
- M.S. in Packaging Engineering, would prefer a minimum of 3+ years of industry experience or
- B.S. in Packaging Engineering, would prefer a minimum of 5 years industry experience
- Strong computer and analytic skills
Basic understanding of the materials and/or equipment used in food packaging.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand; walk; and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee is occasionally required to sit and climb or balance. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to ten pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to fifty pounds, and occasionally lift and/or move more than one hundred pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
Interested candidates should submit a confidential resume with salary history.
SOPAKCO is an equal opportunity employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to sex, race, color, religion, ethnic or national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, pregnancy, leave status, disability, veteran status, genetic information and/or any other characteristic or status protected by national, federal, state or local law. ?